Need for Project
The UAA Accessibility Intern project aims to proactively improve the accessibility of online information and services. Pools of interns can be developed in a variety of areas across our campuses. The Interns are trained to evaluate existing content for alignment with accessibility standards, and also to complete repair work needed to bring accessibility up to an appropriate level.
Need for Project
- Many individuals use accessibility features to interact with information
- Many courses and websites contain scanned PDF or uncaptioned video that can be inaccessible and cause barriers
- Faculty and staff don't always have the time or resources necessary to address content problems
- To improve the usability of course content and/or online information and services by offering assistance in conversion of problematic content
- To provide UAA student interns the opportunity to learn and gain work experience employing best practices in accessible content design – a valuable skill set for later employment
- To increase utilization of effective techniques by both content designers and content users
- Develop and deploy processes that staff and faculty can use to request consultations and assistance
- Train and hire interns who can assist in conversion of problematic content
- Encourage individuals to make use of training materials and resources
Alignment with UAA Strategic Priorities
Priority A - Strengthen the Instructional Program
Making sure online information and services are usable addresses opportunities and challenges of Alaskan life, for example by addressing the issues that can arise with low bandwidth connections. We also prepare students to think and work in a rapidly changing world by serving as an example of how to be responsive and proactive in dealing with new technologies.
Priority C - Expand Educational Opportunity and Increase Student Success
Existing and prospective students need to be able to access our offerings in order to be successful.
Priority D - Strengthen the UAA Community
It is not only our physical environment that is built and maintained, but also our online environment. By working proactively within our community we develop the highest quality faculty and staff.
Priority E - Expand and Enhance the Public Square
Our online offerings are not just encountered by current students, staff, and faculty. We must be accessible to the individuals who may encounter our spaces from all around the world.