The Diagnostic Medical Sonography (DMS) program is designed for individuals who already have training and experience in a profession that provides direct care or treatment to people. This program provides education and training to prepare students for employment as a general sonographer. Graduates are prepared to sit for a national certification exam in diagnostic medical sonography.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
At the completion of the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program, students are able to:
- Apply entry-level knowledge of physics, anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology related to sonography.
- Perform general sonography procedures with continuing competency.
- Demonstrate proficiency in patient assessment and care activities related to sonography.
- Utilize effective oral and written communication with patients, physicians, and other medical personnel.
- Employ professional and ethical judgment in the performance of sonographic duties.
Special admission and application procedure requirements apply for this program. Interested students should contact DMS faculty to review current requirements and procedures for admission.
In addition to UAA Associate's Degree Admissions Requirements, students must meet the prerequisite and special admission requirements. See Application Procedure webpage for additional information. Completion of admission requirements does not guarantee acceptance into the program.
1. Meet one or both of the following:
- Possess an Associate's Degree, or higher, in a healthcare, treatment, or therapy/rehabilitation profession providing direct patient care.
- Possess a national certification or license in a healthcare, treatment, or therapy/rehabilitation profession providing direct patient care.
2. Have work experience in a healthcare, treatment, or therapy/rehabilitation profession providing direct patient care within the last five years.
3. Successful completion of the following courses with a minimum grade of C:
- BIOL A111 Human Anatomy and Physiology I (4)
- BIOL A112 Human Anatomy and Physiology II (4)
- ENGL A111 Introduction to Composition (3)
- MATH A105 Intermediate Algebra (3)
- PHYS A123 *Basic Physics I (3)
*RADT A151, or equivalent, will be accepted in lieu of PHYS A123
4. Submit a Diagnostic Medical Sonography program application.
General Degree Requirements
Complete the Associate of Applied Science General Degrees located in the UAA Catalog.
Complete the following courses with a minimum grade of C or Pass:
- DMS A101 Introduction to Sonography (1)
- DMS A103 Patient Care in Sonography (2)
- DMS A105 Principles and Instrumentation I (3)
- DMS A107 AbdominalSonography I (2)
- DMS A109 OB and Gyn Sonography I (2)
- DMS A205 Principles and Instrumentation II (2)
- DMS A207 Abdominal Sonography II (2)
- DMS A209 OBand Gyn Sonography II (2)
- DMS A211 Small Parts Sonography (2)
- DMS A213 Vascular Technology (2)
- DMS A215 Breast Sonography (2)
- DMS A217 Fundamentals of Sonography Lab (2)
- DMS A221 Pediatric Sonography (1)
- DMS A295A Clinical Practicum I (8)
- DMS A295B Clinical Practicum II (8)
- DMS A392 Pathophysiology Seminar (2)
- DMS A395 Clinical Practicum III (1)0
- RADT A231 Sectional Anatomy for Diagnostic Imaging (3)
A total of 71 credits are required for the degree.