General admission requirements for all students entering programs offered by the Medical Laboratory Science Department include:
- Apply to UAA and declare major as an AAS Pre-Major Medical Laboratory Technology or BS Medical Laboratory Science.
- Complete all university admission requirements including Math and English placement exams.
- Set up an appointment with an academic advisor to develop an academic plan in Degreeworks.
- Submit all required department paperwork to the Medical Laboratory Department including the following:
- Student History Form
- Essential Requirements for Enrollment Form
- Enrollment Policy Form
- Pre Entrance Medical Record
Prior to Enrollment in MEDT A101 or MEDT A132 update Pre-Entrance Medical Record indicating the following:
- Immunity to rubella, rubeola, mumps and chicken pox confirmed by titer or current immunization.
- Immunity to hepatitis A and hepatitis B. Students must have started the immunization series prior to enrolling in the courses.
- Proof of one dose of Tdap as an adult followed by Td booster every ten years thereafter.
- Freedom from active tuberculosis, demonstrated by initial 2-step PPD followed by annual PPD. If PPD is positive, proof of negative chest x-ray is required.
Documentation of the following prior to enrolling in a practicum (MEDT A195A, MEDT A195B, MEDT A395 or MEDT A495):
- Influenza immunization for students enrolling in clinical practicums during flu season.
- Criminal background check within six months prior to start of practicum; some facilities also require drug screening.
- Personal medical insurance.
- Current certification in Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers (BLS-HCP) issued by the American Heart Association.