Associate Professor of Biological Sciences
Office: CPISB 301F
Phone: (907) 786-7752
- 1990 B.S. Biology (Option: Microbiology), Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Va. Tech)
- 1993 M.S. Biology, Va. Tech
- 1998 Ph.D. Microbiology, Oregon State University
Research in the Duddleston lab currently focuses on two areas of inquiry, aquatic environmental microbiology and gut microbial ecology. Specifically, we focus on evaluating the source and transport mechanisms of microbial contaminants in freshwater systems in urban and rural settings, with the ultimate goal of understanding the link between source, transport, and human disease. In addition, my lab is examining the gut microbial community of arctic ground squirrels. The radical shifts in physiology experienced by arctic ground squirrels make then an excellent model with which to study a) the response of microbial populations to changes in their environment and b) the complex reciprocal interactions between the host and the gut microbiota as they relate to disease.
- Alaska INBRE Faculty Affiliate
- Biology Scholar-in-Residence. Biology Scholars Transitions Residency: From Science Education Research to Publication.
- American Society for Microbiology Scholar-in-Residence. Institute on the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.
- UAA Faculty Writing Fellow. UAA Writing Across the Curriculum Initiative.
- Stevenson, T.J., Duddleston, K.N. & Buck, C.L. (2014). Effects of season and host physiological state on the diversity, activity and density of the Arctic ground squirrel cecal microbiota. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 80(18), pp. 5611-5622. doi: 10.1128/AEM.01537-14.
Note: This paper was chosen by the editors of AEM for inclusion in "Spotlight," a journal feature highlighting research articles in an issue that have been deemed of significant interest.
- Carey, H.V. & Duddleston, K.N. (2014). Animal-microbial symbioses in changing environments. Journal of Thermal Biology, 44, pp. 78-84. doi: 10.1016/j.jtherbio.2014.02.015
- Stevenson, T.J., Buck, C.L. & Duddleston, K.N. (2014). Temporal dynamics of the cecal gut microbiota of juvenile arctic ground squirrels: a strong litter effect across the first active season. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 80(14), pp. 4260-4268. doi: 10.1128/AEM.00737-14.
- Schnabel,W. E., T.L. Wilson, R. Edwards, G. Stahnke, M. Maselko, D. C. Maddux, and K. N. Duddleston. 2010.Variability, Seasonality, and Persistence of Fecal Coliform Bacteria in a Cold-Region Urban Stream. Journal of Cold Regions Engineering. 24(2):54-75
- Hines, M. E., K. N. Duddleston, J. N. Rooney-Varga, D. Fields and J. P. Chanton. 2008. Uncoupling of acetate degradation from methane formation in Alaskan wetlands: Connections to vegetation distribution. Global Biogeochem. Cycles. 22, GB2017, doi:10.1029/2006GB002903.
- Rooney-Varga, J. N., M. W. Giewat, K. N. Duddleston, J. P. Chanton and M. E. Hines. 2007. Links between Archaea community structure, vegetation type, and methanogenic pathways in Alaskan peatlands. FEMS Microbiology Ecology. 60(2):240-251.
- Duddleston, K. N., M.A. Kinney, R.P. Kiene and M.E. Hines. 2002. Anaerobic microbial biogeochemistry in a northern bog: acetate as a dominant metabolic end product. Global Biogeochem. Cycles.16(4):1063, doi:10.1029/2001GB001402,2002.
- Duddleston, K. N., D.J. Arp and P. J. Bottomley. 2002. Biodegradation of monohalogenated alkanes by soil NH3- oxidizing bacteria. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 59:535-539.
- Hines, M.E., K. N. Duddleston, and R.P. Kiene. 2001. Carbon flow to acetate and C1 compounds in northern wetlands. Geophys. Res. Lett. 28:4251-4254.
- Duddleston, K. N., P. J. Bottomley, A. J. Porter, and D. J. Arp. 2000. Effects of soil and water content on methyl bromide oxidation by the ammonia-oxidizing bacterium, Nitrosomonas europaea.Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 66:2636-2640.
- Duddleston, K. N., P. J. Bottomley, A. J. Porter, and D. J. Arp. 2000. New insights into methyl bromide cooxidation by Nitrosomonas europaea obtained from experimenting with moderately low density cell suspensions. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 66:2726-2731.
Selected Abstracts and Presentations:
- Dufva, Melanie, B. Quinlan, T. Stevenson and K. Duddleston. 2011. Analysis of the gut microbiota of arctic ground squirrels and Alaska marmots: Development of 16S rRNA clone libraries. 5th Annual Symposium of the REU: Ecology and Physiological Ecology in Alaska. August 5, 2011, Anchorage, AK.
- Quinlan, B. A.*, T. J. Stevenson, C. L. Buck and K. N. Duddleston. 2011. Gut microbial community analysis of arctic hibernators. Abstracts of the 111th General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology. May 21-21, 2011. New Orleans, La.
- Duddleston, K., T. Stevenson, B.Quinlan and L. Buck. 2011. The gut microbial community of arctic ground squirrels. Presented at the annual meeting of the Alaska Branch of the American Society for Microbiology. April 23, 2011, Anchorage, AK.
- Quinlan, B.*, T. Stevenson, L. Buck and K. Duddleston. 2010. Comparative analysis of the gut microbiota of arctic ground squirrels and Alaska marmots. 4th Annual Symposium of the REU: Ecology and Physiological Ecology in Alaska. August 6, 2010, Anchorage, AK.
- Duddleston, K. 2009. Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria in Chester Creek, Anchorage, Alaska: Toward Elucidating the Factors Affecting Abundance and Distribution. Final Report to the Office of the Vice Provost for Research and Graduate Studies, University of Alaska, Anchorage.
- Hamilton, T., R. Reeves and K. Duddleston. 2009. Assessment of the distribution and source of antibiotic resistant bacteria in an urban waterway. Abstracts of the 109th General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology. May 17-21, 2009, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Mitchell, A., D. Bogan and K. Duddleston. 2009. Effect of a sport fishery on water quality of Montana creek in Talkeetna, Alaska. Abstracts of the 109th General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology. May 17-21, 2009, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Duddleston, K. N., R. K. Edwards, M. B. Maselko, H. M. Chambers and W. E. Schnabel. 2007. Temporal and spatial distribution of fecal coliforms in an urban Alaskan lake. Abstracts of the 107th General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology. May 21-25, 2007, Toronto, Canada.
- Stevenson, T. J., D. J. Jorgensen and K. N. Duddleston. 2007. Determination of the prevalence and distribution of antibiotic resistant bacteria in Chester creek, Anchorage, Alaska. Abstracts of the 107th General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology. May 21-25, 2007, Toronto, Canada.
- Duddleston, K. N., H. M. Chambers, R. K. Edwards, M. B. Maselko, G. R. Stahnke, T. L. Wilson and W. E. Schnabel. 2006. An evaluation of fecal contamination of an Alaskan waterway. Abstracts of the 106th General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology. May 21-25, 2006, Orlando, Fl.
- Hines, M. E., K. N. Duddleston, J. N. Rooney-Varga and J. P. Chanton. 2006. Uncoupling of terminal decomposition in wetland peats. Abstracts of the International Conference on Alpine and Polar Microbiology, Innsbruck, Austria. March 27-31, 2006.