All materials are due by March 1st for fall admission and by November 1st for spring admission. Files received after will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Required Documents for Admission
- The UAA graduate application process can be found online at: https://uaonline.alaska.edu/
- Official transcript(s) reflecting graduate-level credits and credits pertaining to the baccalaureate degree from each institution attended. Applicants with transcript(s) from institution(s) outside the United States or Canada must provide an official statement of equivalency from a recommended credentials evaluation service and, if necessary, an English translation of the transcript.
- Official scores from the GRE must be requested by the student and sent directly by the testing agency to the university. Scores must be received prior to admission to the program.
- If necessary, scores from the TOEFL exam must be requested by the student and sent directly by the testing agency to the university. Scores must be received prior to admission to the program.
- A brief (typically one page) statement of the applicant's research and career goals.
- Three letters of recommendation from the persons who are qualified to evaluate the applicant's ability to successfully perform graduate-level coursework and research should be submitted directly to the department.
- A letter of support from a UAA faculty member from the Department of Biological Sciences expressing willingness to accept the applicant into his/her research group and a statement of available funding or funding opportunities for research support for the student. Because students will not be admitted to the program without a faculty mentor from the department, prospective graduate students are strongly advised to contact faculty for research/advisor arrangements at an early stage of their admission process. Faculty research interests are available online.
Items 1-4 must be submitted to Enrollment Services; items 5-7 should be submitted directly to the Department of Biological Sciences Graduate Affairs Administrative Assistant, Rachel Lee, at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Applicants should also submit unofficial copies of items 1-4 to the department. Questions about this process should be directed to Rachel at (907)-786-7762 or email@example.com
Department of Biological Sciences Graduate Program
3101 Science Circle, CPISB 101
Anchorage, AK 99508