- TED Talk. Michael Anti (Zhao Jing), a key figure in China's new journalism, explores the growing power of the Chinese internet. Despite the control the central government has over the Internet
-- "All the servers are in Beijing" -- he says that hundreds of millions
of microbloggers are in fact creating the first national public sphere
in the country's history, and shifting the balance of power in
unexpected ways. Running Time: 18:51.
- "How to Verify Fact and Fiction Online." TED Talk. Markham Nolan shares the investigative techniques he and his team use to verify information in real-time, to let you know if that Statue of Liberty image has been doctored, or if that video leaked from Syria is legitimate. The managing editor of Storyful.com, Markham Nolan has watched journalism evolve from the pursuit of finding facts to the act of verifying those floating in the ether. Running Time: 13:29.
- TED Talk. James Surowiecki discusses how information access shapes your views and attitudes with and about everybody else. Focusing on the blogosphere, he argues that people, when we act en masse, are smarter than we think. He also addresses the pros and cons of being networked. Running Time: 16:57
- TED Talk. Hyeonseo Lee shares her family's escape from Noth Korea and her hopes for the future. Running Time: 12:15.
- In-depth Q&A C-SPAN interview with Blaine Harden. Running Time 59 minutes. Harden offers historical and cultural context of Escape for Camp 14: One Man's, and his experience researching North Korea prison camps and interviewing Shin Dong-huk. Includes Shin's challenges adapting to life outside the camp since his escape, and his work as a human rights activist since the book was published. Running Time: 59:00.
- CBS 60 Minutes interviews
Shin Dong-huk about his experience told in Escape from Camp 14: One Man's Odyssey from North Korea to Freedom in the West." Running Time: 13:54.
- Discussion on Oregon Public Radio's Think Out Loud. Aired November 6, 2008.
Running Time: 52:30.
- Interview with author
Brook Gladstone on NPR's Talk of the Nation. Aired September 17, 2012.
Running Time: 16:59.
- 'Escape from Camp 14': Inside North Korea's Gulag. Interview with author
Blaine Harden on NPR's All Things Considered. Aired March 29, 2012.
Running Time: 07:48.
- Interview on Alaska Public Media's Hometown Alaska (scroll down for audio link)
Running Time: Approx 60 mins.
- . Includes interviews and articles about the author of The Escape from Camp 14 and its subjects.
- . Biography and accomplishments of the author of The Influencing Machine and host of NPR's .
website for The Influencing Machine by
Brooke Gladstone. Includes
interviews with author Brooke Gladstone and illustrator Josh Neufeld.
website for Escape from Camp 14: One Man's Remarkable Odyssey from North
Korea to Freedom in the West by Blaine Harden. Includes a book excerpt and
information about the author.