- All CIOS course content is available in Blackboard, a web-based software system which supports flexible teaching and learning in face-to-face and distance courses.
- Students access Blackboard.
- All coursework is submitted through Blackboard.
CIOS offers courses in three different formats:
- Self-directed courses do not have regular meeting dates or times and are indicated on the class schedule by MTWRF meeting times.
- Students must have access to a computer that meets the computer/software requirements for the course they are taking. Students who do not have access at home or work can use the computers in the CIOS instructional lab.
- Students access all assignments through Blackboard and complete the coursework on their own at their own pace. Students contact the instructor via email and visit the instructional lab for assistance when needed.
- Self-directed course requirements:
- All course content is online; printing is rarely required.
- Students must complete the coursework by the end of the semester. Incomplete grades are not an option for self-directed courses.
- One-credit courses require 45 hours of work; two-credit courses, 90 hours; three-credit courses, 135 hours (depending on individual technical skills).
- Some courses require students to take tests in the instructional lab.
- Instructors indicate deadlines for completing course requirements in the course syllabus and in Blackboard.
- Traditional lecture courses have regular meeting times in an instructional lab.
- Students meet with the instructor and the rest of the class at a specific time each week. CIOS classes meet at the University Center in room 133 or 134.
- Instructors set deadlines and the entire class moves through the coursework at the same time.
- E-Learning courses (formerly called Distance Education courses) are taught completely online.
- Instructors set meeting dates/times and assignment deadlines.
- Students must have access to a computer that meets the computer/software requirements for the course they are taking.
- If the course requires online meetings, students must purchase a headset and microphone.
- Some courses require students to collaborate on group projects.
View a short description of all CIOS courses.