B.6. (Continuing Visit Only) What substantive changes have taken place in the unit since the last visit?
- Fran Ulmer became Chancellor of the University of Alaska Anchorage in 2007.
Addition of Programs:
- Occupational Endorsement Certificates in School-Age Care: Practitioner and School-Age Care: Administrator were approved. (2008)
- The Graduate Certificate in Language Education with a concentration in English for Speakers of Other Languages (Grades 7-12) was approved. (2008)
- A K-12 Physical Education endorsement option was added to the MAT program. (2008)
- A new Special Education Administration option was added to the existing M.Ed. in Special Education. (2008)
- The Graduate Certificate in Adult Education with a concentration in e-Learning, subsequently changed to a Graduate Certificate in e-Learning, was approved. (2008)
- An alternate route to special education initial certification was approved in 2007 by the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development. COE began offering the Graduate Certificate in Special Education with an initial certification option in 2008.
- A Teacher Leadership Option of the M.Ed. in Educational Leadership was approved. (2007)
- The Graduate Certificate in Special Education was approved as a revision to the formerly offered “endorsement only” option. (2006)
- New endorsement options in Career and Technical Education were approved for the MAT: business education, family and consumer science, and technology education. (2006)
- COE developed a proposal for an Ed.D. in Engaged Leadership, which is under review by the UAA Graduate Council in Spring 2010.
Removal or Suspension of Programs
- Admission to the Graduate Certificate in e-Learning was suspended effective Spring 2010 due to a low number of admission applications.
- Admission to the M.Ed. in Adult Education was suspended in January 2008 due to a continuing pattern of low enrollment. The program was eliminated by the UA Board of Regents in September 2008.
- Admission to the Teacher Leadership Option of the M.Ed. in Educational Leadership was suspended due to low admission applications. (2008)
- Admission to the M.Ed. in Master Teacher Specialty Options was suspended in 2007 for a major curricular revision.
- Admission was suspended to the special education dual endorsement option of the BA in Elementary Education due to low enrollment. The new Graduate Certificate in Special Education will now serve candidates seeking the dual option. (2006)
- Course sections offered via distance education technologies increased 46% from AY2006 to AY2009.
- COE experienced a 2% decrease in enrollment in degree courses between AY2006 and AY2009. Enrollment in non-degree, professional development courses increased 24.5% over the same time period.
- COE implemented a trimester system for delivery of courses effective Spring 2008. The unit encountered significant difficulties with the system as it related to faculty compensation matters and returned to the semester system in Spring 2009.