As a student, you play a fundamental role in the academic advising process. It is your responsibility to monitor your academic progress and seek advising on a regular basis. Advisors can help you develop educational plans that are consistent with your career and life goals, and assist you in completing your chosen program quickly and successfully. To make the most of your advising sessions, you should prepare for the sessions by taking the following steps:
Before Seeing Your Advisor
- Schedule regular meetings with your advisor. Remember to schedule your appointment early each semester!
- Review your DegreeWorks status - available through UAOnline. Your DegreeWorks outline explains the progress you are making toward your degree.
- Make notes of any questions or concerns that you have about your current degree status, and bring these to your advising session.
At Your Advising Session
- Review your DegreeWorks status, as well as your questions or concerns. Your advisor can best assist when you clarify your academic/career goals.
- Determine a target graduation date in consultation with your advisor.
- Work with your advisor to establish a program of study and an outline of the classes that you plan to take over the next few semesters.
- Take notes at your advising meetings to remind you what was discussed. These periodic advising meetings will help to keep you on track to achieve your academic -- and graduation -- goals.
- Review your academic progress regularly, and contact your advisor with any related questions or concerns.
- Take charge of your academic progress! Advising is an important tool, but you are ultimately responsible for your success.
For additional information related to your academic career at UAA, please consult the Office of the Registrar