Who is eligible for testing accommodations?
Jump to responsibilities of students who are eligible for testing accommodations.Testing accommodations are approved on an individual basis. Students seeking testing accommodations need to schedule an appointment with DSS staff and supply documentation to support their request. Students who are eligible for testing accommodations will need to give a faculty notification letter to each professor or instructor who needs to be informed. More information on this process can be found on the testing accommodation page located in the faculty section of this website.
Test Anxiety is not considered a disability and DSS can not provide testing accommodations based on testing anxiety alone. However, DSS can provide access to our Lending Library which has books and videos that may be helpful. Additionally, there are online resources that can be helpful.
1. "Taking Test: General Tips"
2. University of Chicago - Student Counseling Virtual Pamphlet Collection (Includes Test Taking Pamphlets as well as many others) http://counseling.uchicago.edu/resources/virtualpamphlets/
3. Career Centre - Test Anxiety Tips http://www.sheridanc.on.ca/career/tips/testanx.htm
4. AcademicTips.org - Test Taking Strategies http://www.academictips.org/acad/testtakingstrategies.html
6. Sweet Briar College - Department of Psychology - How to Maximize Test-Taking Performance http://www.psychology.sbc.edu/ch36.htm
7. Lynn Fancher Home Page (College of Dupage - Associate Professor of Biology) - Tips for Effective Study http://www.cod.edu/people/faculty/fancher/STUDY.HTM
8. University at Buffalo State University of NewYork
We also have resources in our Lending Library that may be useful. These books and many others can be checked out by students, staff, faculty or community members.
For students who experience anxiety that has been diagnosed by a mental health professional there are additional accommodations that may be appropriate. Any student who is looking for more information should schedule an appointment to come in and talk to DSS staff.
What kind of testing accommodations are available?
Testing accommodations are determined on an individualized basis. Some of the accommodations that may be appropriate based on supporting documentation include:
What are my responsibilities as a student using testing accommodations?
As a student using testing accommodations you are responsible for requesting a faculty notification letter at the beginning of the semester, giving that letter to your instructor or professor, scheduling your test if DSS will serve as proctor, and abiding by all relevant university policies.
As a student using testing accommodations with DSS as proctor you are responsible for scheduling your exams with our office. We recommend coming in with the syllabus and scheduling all tests and exams right at the start of the semester. If scheduling is done throughout the semester it is imperative that as much advance notification as possible be given. Our department needs to coordinate with faculty and schedule rooms appropriately.
Tests and quizzes that are proctored by our department are to be administered the same day and time they are administered in the classroom.
The test accommodation form filled out by professors and instructors who are having DSS proctor will be used to determine how the test is administered. Any deviation from the Test Accommodation Form will need to be authorized by the instructor or professor in advance.
Students must sign a test proctoring agreement form if DSS is proctoring exams. Rooms are monitored.