Checklist for Graduate Students

Get connected to UAA! Use this checklist to help you through the process of attending Graduate School.

chb  University Application and Admission Process
  • The University of Alaska Anchorage has general university as well as specific graduate program requirements.  Application requirements, processes, and deadlines may be different for each program.  For more information go to and choose the Graduate Student tab.
  • Use the “Graduate School” link to research program requirements.
  • For general University requirements, choose the “Apply Now” link.
  • Choose the UAOnline link to complete an application for admission.  UAOnline is self-service system that provides access to University services. The application fee of $60.00 is payable by credit card (Visa or MasterCard) for online application or by check using paper application.
  • Mail official documents to: University of Alaska Anchorage, Office of Admissions PO Box 141629 Anchorage, AK 99514-1629.
chb  Departmental Admission Requirements 
  • It is important to research specific graduate program requirements in addition to UAA’s Graduate School Requirements. Certain graduate programs may require additional materials that need to be submitted directly to the program chair.
  • Additional admission requirements may include, but are not limited to:
    • Departmental Application for Admission
    • Personal Interview
    • Statement detailing applicant’s plans and program expectations
    • Writing samples
    • Letters of recommendation from professors and other individuals qualified  to attest to the applicant’s qualifications for graduate study
    • Research proposals or other information indicative of  the applicant’s potential for graduate study
chb  Test Scores and Transcripts 
  • Submit official transcripts for all bachelor or master degrees earned as well as any transcript(s) with graduate credit.
  • The University of Alaska Anchorage requires any applicant from an international institution  to provide a statement of equivalency from an international credentials evaluation service recognized by UAA as well as an English translation.
  • Submit official test scores such as the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or Millers Analogy Test (MAT) as required by individual programs.  NOTE: Students do not need to request a transcript from any University of Alaska campus.
  • If English is not the applicant’s native language nor the language of instruction of the applicant’s bachelor degree, a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score is required.  NOTE: The English language test requirement may be waived if student has been a long-term resident of the United States or of another English-speaking country.
chb  Apply for Financial Aid 
  • Investigate UAA’s financial aid website and scholarships at
  • It is important to request financial aid as soon as possible (process can take up to eight weeks).  Grants, Stafford and Alaska state loans, and some scholarships require the submission of the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at  UAA’s financial aid code is 011462.
  • Speak with a graduate advisor about the scholarships, fellowships, and grants available to students in your graduate program.
chb Meet with a Graduate Advisor to:
  • Choose appropriate classes
  • Select a research topic or project
  • Develop a thesis or dissertation
chb Sign up for a New Student Orientation Session
  • Orientation is not just for first-time freshmen anymore!  Tour the campus, register for classes, and meet students with interests similar to yours.
  • Choose from an the Evening Orientation (for both graduate & undergraduate students), Age 30 and Over Luncheon, Out-of-Area Student Orientation, Big Wild Orientation (an Alaskan Outdoor Experience), or UAA Fusion (a community service orientation).
  • Check out the New Student Orientation website at or call (907)786-1224 for more information.
chb  Register for Classes
  • To register online, you will need your student ID number (3xxxxxxx) and PIN.  To find your student ID go to UAOnline at and click “Login to Secured Area”.  From there select the link “Lookup your id here".
  • Log onto UAOnline, select “Student Services and Account Information,” and choose the “Registration” option.
  • Print and review your bill and check your residency status.
chb  Follow-Up – Check the status of your progress at UAOnline or call:
  • Admissions and Financial Aid at (907) 786-1480.
  • Campus Housing at (907) 751-7202.
chb  Don’t Forget the Details
  • Read the Class Schedule - An online version of the class schedule can be found at  The class schedule includes information about University deadlines, building locations, planning tools, and much more.
  • Pay for Classes – For payment options go to  If you have questions about your account, call (907)786-4800.
  • Parking Permit—If you drive a vehicle to the University you will need a Parking permit which can be purchased online at  Contact parking services at (907) 786-1119 with any questions.
  • WolfCard—Your Wolfcard is your official University identification card.  The first Wolfcard is free and can serve as a debit card on campus only.  The WolfCard Office is located in the University Center, call 786-HOWL for more information or check out their website at
  • E-mail account At the time of registration UAA students are assigned a university email account which is used to communicate with students regarding important university matters.  You are responsible for checking this account regularly or forwarding your university email account to one you check regularly.  You are also responsible to act upon or respond to the email received from the university when specifically requested to do so.  Once you have registered, go to UAA's Identity Manager
  • UAA Graduate Student Handbook—Read the UAA Graduate Student Handbook for information about campus resources.  For the online version, go to
  • Update your Address with the University - Go to UAOnline, click on “personal information” then “update address & phone.”  NOTE: You may have a different address for mailing and billing.