Dr. Casey Saenger
Dr. Saenger has been an term assistant professor with UAA since August, 2012. Dr. Saenger recieved his B.A. in Geology from the Bates Colleg, Lewiston, ME in 2002 and a Ph.D. in Marine Geology from MIT/WHOI (Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution)in 2009.
Undergraduate Classes Taught at UAA
- Environmental Geology (Lecture and lab)
Casey's interests are in paleoclimatology and stable isotope geochemistry. Much of his work seeks to develop new geochemical temperature proxies that can be measured in corals, bivalves, forams and other biological carbonates to reconstruct past ocean temperature variability. He is also interested in applying these proxies in long-lived corals and sediment cores to investigate the patterns and causes of past climate variability.
Selected Publications, Talks, Posters
- Saenger, C., Affek, H., Thiagarajan, N., Felis, T., Lough, J. and Holcomb, M. 2012. Carbonate clumped isotopes in shallow-water corals: Temperature dependence and vital effects. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. in press
- Saenger, C., Came, R.E., Oppo, D. W., Keigwin, L.D., Cohen, A. L., 2011, Regional climate vari- ability in the western subtropical North Atlantic during the past two millennia. Paleocean- ography. doi:10.1029/2010PA002038
- Smittenberg, R. H., Saenger, C., Dawson, M., Sachs, J. P., 2011, Compound-specific D/H ratios of the marine lakes of Palau as proxies for West Pacific Warm Pool hydrologic variability. Quaternary Science Reviews. 30, 921-933, doi:10.1016/j.quascirev.2011.01.012
- Saenger, C., Chang, P. Ji, L. Oppo, D. W., Cohen, A. 2009: Tropical Atlantic climate response to low-latitude and extratropical sea-surface temperature: a Little Ice Age perspective. Geo- physical Research Letters. v. 36 L11703, doi:10.1029/2009GL038677
- Saenger, C., Cohen, A. C., Oppo, D. W. Halley, R. B. and Carilli, J. E.: 2009. Surface temperature trends and variability in the low-latitude North Atlantic since 1552. Nature Geoscience. 2, 492-495, doi: 10.1038/NGEO552.
- Saenger, C., Cohen, A. C., Oppo, D. W., Hubbard, D. H. 2008. Interpreting sea surface temperature from strontium/calcium ratios in Montastrea corals: Link with growth rate and impli- cations for proxy reconstructions. Paleoceanography 23 doi:10.1029/2007PA001572
- Saenger, C., Cronin, T.M., Willard, D., Halka, J., Kerhin, R. 2008, Increased terrestrial to ocean sediment fluxes in the northern Chesapeake Bay with twentieth century land alteration. Estuaries and Coasts doi:10.1007/s12237-008-9048-5
Link to Casey Saenger's CV