Academic Policies At A Glance

This is a distillation of UAA Academic Policies regarding graduate students presented in an easy to read format.  The catalog page of the 2013-2014 UAA Catalog is included as an additional reference point.


If you're interested in policies specific to your program, please check out the Graduate School webpage titled Handbooks. There you will find the UAA Graduate School Handbook along with handbooks specific to various programs including Anthropology, Arctic Engineering and Biological Sciences, amongst others. The following link will take you to the page: Handbooks.   

Dates and Deadlines

The Graduate School Calendar has salient dates for our students.  If you are sponsoring an event that would be of interest to our Graduate Students, please contact the Office of the Director of the Graduate School, Elisa Mattison.


Go to UAOnline, the online registration system for the University of Alaska, to register for classes.You can check your registration status, register for classes, and view your student records through this system. 
If you are unsure how to register for classes, please review the following guide created by the Office of the Registrar: Registration Process.
You can also watch an online tutorial of the process: Registration Tutorial
If your question has not been answered, please contact the Graduate School or your Academic Advisor. 

Continuous Registration 2014 - 2015

What? Continuous progress is expected every semester as appropriate for the graduate program, from admission through graduation, until all requirements for the degree are met. 

Who? Check with your graduate program for their specific requirements. For example, students enrolled in graduate programs offering courses only in summer should be continuously registered for every Summer semester until degree requirements are completed. Students enrolling for Fall and Spring semesters are expected to enroll every fall and spring until requirements are completed. 

How? To make Continuous Progress in their graduate program, students have the following options: 
  • Registering for at least one graduate level credit applicable to their graduate degree, or 
  • Paying the continuous registration fee (by registering for Extended Registration CRN) to remain active in the graduate program although not registered for any courses. 
When? Students are also expected to register or pay the continuous registration fee for the summer if they use university facilities or consult with faculty during the semester. 

Where? The continuous registration fee may be paid during each semester's late registration period or in the Cashier's Office up until the end of late registration.

Extended Registration CRN's: 
  Fall Spring  Summer
 College of Education 69973203 31905 
 School of Nursing 69973206 31908 
 Community and Technical College 69973208 31910 
 College of Health 69973204 31906 
College of Engineering 69973207 31909 
 Project Management 69973205  31907N/A
 College of Arts and Sciences 69973202  31904 
How to find the appropriate Extended Registration CRN:
1. Log on to UA online. 
2. Go to "Student Services and Account Information."
3. From there, click "Registration," then "Class Schedule Search." 
4. On this page, select the following options: 
a. Search by term: as applicable 
b. Campus: UAA: all campuses 
c. Keyword search: type "extended."  

Graduate Student Forms

If you need to make a change such as change a committee member, request a leave of absence, or petition a UAA catalog policy, please review the Graduate School webpage: Graduate School Forms