United Healthcare Health Insurance Coverage



Graduate students employed as Research Assistants, Teaching Assistants or Service Assistants are eligible for health insurance paid for by the department in which the student is employed.  Insurance is a mandatory benefit and provided on a semester by semester basis.  

Graduate assistant insurance is provided by United Health Care. To find out more about the insurance plan, check out the following links: Graduate Assistant Health InsuranceHealth Discount Program and Health Care 101

For general information about plans provided by United Healthcare, check out the United Healthcare website. You can find more information about the Graduate Assistant Health Insurance plan by reviewing the following link: 2014-248-2 Summary Brochure

 2014-2015 Plan Costs

Annual - $2,056.00

Fall Only - $750.00

Spring/Summer - $1,306.00

Summer Only - $563.00


Initiating United Healthcare Coverage

The Basics

  1. Stop by the Graduate School (Administrative Building, 218A) with your signed contact letter*. Submit your enrollment form. 
  2. Look for emails from the UAA Graduate School to confirm your coverage. 
  3. Create an online account through United Healthcare to verify your coverage. 
  4. Contact the Graduate School if you encounter any issues with coverage**. 

*Find out if your department's administrative staff already forwarded a copy to the Graduate School. If so, you do not need to bring another copy with you.

**Until further notice, students must follow each step every semester for which they are awarded an assistantship. Failure to do so will result in delayed coverage.  

More Details 

If students are unable to complete their enrollment in person, they should contact Elisa Mattison at 786-1096. Although electronic forms have been accepted in the past, due to sensitive nature of the information collected, this option is no longer available. Instead, students should call Elisa and complete their enrollment over the phone. 

To create an account with United Healthcare, go to the United Healthcare website, search University of Alaska Anchorage, then select create account option. Or click the following link: Create an online account. 

There are a number of different contacts if you have problems with your coverage. First, email UAA_graduateschool@uaa.alaska.edu. You can reach Elisa Mattison with questions at 786-1096.