About the UAA Graduate Student Association
The graduate student association hereafter referred to as GSA, will represent the interests of students wishing to attain an advanced degree by communicating with the university to effect positive change. The GSA will work to make UAA a more competitive institution by maintaining a living wage, adequate health insurance, sufficient resources and administrative support for all teaching and research assistants. The GSA will be a supportive community for students in all departments.
1. Membership is open to all students.
2. Any graduate or professional student enrolled in a minimum of 3 credits and pursuing a master or doctoral degree at the University of Alaska Anchorage may vote at GSA meetings.
3. The GSA committee will consist of the following positions (*designates that position must be filled for the GSA to function):
4. All committee members serve a term of 1 academic year beginning in August.
5. All committee members must be in good academic standing (maintain 3.0 average) or their seat will be forfeited.
6. If a committee member has two or more unscheduled absences (for GSA meetings or as a GSA representative to an outside meeting) their seat will be forfeited.
7. If a seat is forfeited or a committee member is unable to serve their full term all members will be notified of the vacancy and any wishing to fill the position may contact the coordinator. The position will remain open for two weeks or until a member agrees to take on the position. If more than one member expresses interest in a given position a special election will be held and a simple majority will determine the winner.
8. If unopposed, a committee member may serve a second academic year in the same position.
9. If necessary a simple majority election will be held to determine a particular seat.
10. Work with the administration in the best interest of student wishing to attain an advanced degree.
11. Facilitate unity between departments to achieve common goals.
12. Prepare annual budgets and have sole authority over allocation of GSA funds.
13. Encourage and advise undergraduate students interested in graduate education.
14. The GSA committee may form a temporary subcommittee to perform a desired task by a simple majority vote.
15. A representative from each subcommittee will report to the GSA committee at each meeting.
16. If a subcommittee exists for over one year, the GSA will reevaluate its function and a vote will be taken to determine if the committee should carry on with their assignment, be disbanded, or become a permanent fixture.
17. GSA meetings will occur at least three times per semester. In fall semester there will be one meeting in September, October and November. In the spring semester’s meetings will be held in January, February, and March.
23. This document can be amended by proposal, but the committee must give notice of proposed amendments at least two weeks in advance and new amendments can only be passes by a three-quarters vote.