Brian Saylor, PhD, MPH
Kari Hamrick, PhD
The State of Alaska Division of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse received federal funds to strengthen substance abuse programs for Alaska’s youth. Part of the overall initiative was the development of a strong evaluation plan. The Institute for Health Studies (ICHS) agreed to provide evaluation services, and was supported by the staff of the University of New Mexico Center on Alcoholism, Substance Abuse and Addictions.
Over a three year period, ICHS:
- Inventoried existing substance abuse prevention programs to develop a taxonomy for identifying different types and approaches for substance abuse prevention.
- Developed a preliminary list of common data elements.
- Assisted with the development of a request for prevention proposals.
- Organized and staffed an evaluation training session for all successful grantees.
- Performed qualitative program evaluations on a periodic basis.
- Compiled and analyzed quantitative, programmatic information.