J-1 Scholars are members of the international academic community who are invited by a specific department to teach, research or lecture at UAA for an amount of time agreed upon by the two parties.
There are three categories of J-1 Scholars that departments can invite to UAA:
- Research Scholar: An individual primarily conducting research, observing, or consulting in connection with a new or existing research project. Research scholars may lecture or teach; however, their primary purpose is to engage in research.
- Professor: An individual primarily teaching, lecturing, observing or consulting for a given academic department. Professors may conduct research; however the primary purpose is to lecture or teach.
- Research Scholars and Professors may be authorized to participate in the J-1 visitor program for the length of time necessary to complete their program; however, the time period may not exceed 5 years.
- Research Scholars and Professors may not hold or be candidates for tenure.
- Short-Term Scholar: An individual whose concern is to conduct research, teach, lecture, observe or consult with a specific department for a period of no more than six months.
Funding for J-1 Scholars