The purpose of the David B. & Mary E. Carlson Scholarship is to offer financial assistance for tuition and other educational expenses to students who are University of Alaska Anchorage Nursing students. In recognition of the donor’s stated emphasis on benefiting Nursing students from the Bristol Bay area (as interpreted and approved by Judith Nelson, executor of the Estate of the donor), awards may also be made to students enrolled at the Bristol Bay Campus of the University of Alaska, provided:
- Such students are pre-clinical students in Nursing who have completed an application to the UAA School of Nursing
Students that have received academic advising related to the UAA Nursing program
Students intending to enroll in a Nursing program at the University of Alaska Anchorage
Award amount is a minimum $1,000 per academic year
- Applicant should demonstrate motivation, academic and leadership potential.
- Applicant must be in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 and a minimum cumulative Nursing program grade point average of 2.5.
- Applicant must plan on enrolling at least half-time (six (6) credits) at the University of Alaska Anchorage or the Bristol Bay Campus of the University of Alaska Fairbanks.
- Preference will be given to students:
- From the Bristol Bay Region
- From rural communities of less than 7,500 residents
- Planning to provide nursing services in rural Alaska
- Other qualified students (clinical students only)
- Applicant may be an incoming or continuing student at the University of Alaska Anchorage.
- Applicant may be a U.S. citizen, non-U.S. citizen, Alaska resident, or out-of-state resident.
- Applicant must be formally admitted into a degree-seeking program at the University of Alaska Anchorage by the start of Fall 2007 semester or be enrolled at the Bristol Bay Campus of the University of Alaska who is a pre-clinical student in Nursing and who has: 1) completed an application to the UAA School of Nursing, 2) have received academic advising related to the UAA nursing program, and 3) intend to enroll in the Nursing program at the University of Alaska Anchorage.
- See qualifications 1 through 7 under pre-clinical students.
- Applicants must be formally admitted in to a Nursing degree-seeking program at the University of Alaska Anchorage.
- Applicant must have successfully completed all prerequisites for admissions to beginning clinical courses (NURS 120 in AAS program; NS courses at the 300 level for BS program).
- Applicant must be enrolled in a clinical nursing course the semester for which the award is made.
- Please make sure you meet all of the qualifications above
- Login to UAOnline and complete the Scholarship Application.