The purpose of the Michael Baring-Gould Memorial Scholarship is to offer financial assistance for tuition and other educational expenses to full-time students who are formally admitted into an undergraduate social sciences program or enrolled in an interdisciplinary masters program which includes sociology as one of the disciplines.
Award amount is a minimum of $500 per academic year
- Applicants must be in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 for undergraduate and 3.0 for graduate.
- Applicant must be formally admitted into an undergraduate Social Sciences major (e.g. Sociology, Psychology, Political Science, Justice, Social Work, Anthropology, etc.) or an Interdisciplinary Masters degree-seeking program that includes sociology as one of the disciplines at the University of Alaska Anchorage.
- Undergraduate applicants must have completed at least thirty (30) credits.
- Applicant must have completed at least six (6) credits prior to the semester of the award at the University of Alaska Anchorage.
- Applicant must plan on enrolling full time (twelve (12) credits for undergraduate and nine (9) credits for graduate) at the University of Alaska Anchorage the semester the award is granted.
- Applicant must demonstrate involvement in a project or area of study which reflects a commitment to social justice, peace, equality, and/or empowerment of minorities. Such involvement may include, but is not restricted to, any of the following:
- Community or campus organizing (e.g. leading or forming a campus or community organization).
- Public education or advocacy (e.g. leading or coordinating a special project, conference, educational campaign, or public policy effort).
- Research (e.g. working on an independent project or with a faculty member or community group).
- Please make sure you meet all of the qualifications above
- Login to UAOnline and complete the Scholarship Application
- Submit the following required information:
UAA Office of Student Financial Assistance
ATTN: Michael Baring-Gould Scholarship
PO Box 141608
Anchorage, AK 99514-1608
UAA at the University Center
ATTN:Michael Baring-Gould Scholarship
3901 Old Seward
Anchorage, AK 99503
Applicant must submit an essay (250 words) describing the student's involvement in a project or area of study which reflects a commitment to social justice, peace, equality, and/or empowerment of minorities. Please type essay into text box below.