Seong Dae Kim, Ph.D., PMP
Office: University Center 157
||Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas|
Ph.D. in Industrial and Systems Engineering (degree conferred 2009)
Dissertation title: “The Tradeoff between Investments in Infrastructure and Forecasting in the face of Natural Disaster Risk”
||Sungkyunkwan University, Korea (South)|
M.S. in Industrial Engineering (degree conferred 2002)
Thesis title: “A Study on the Application of TRIZ to the Areas of Management Science - With Regard to Inventory Control and Queuing Models”
||Sungkyunkwan University, Korea (South)|
B.S. in Industrial Engineering (degree conferred 1999)
||PI, “Prioritization of future Freight Infrastructure Projects within the Anchorage Metropolitan Area Transportation Solutions (AMATS),” research project sponsored by Municipality of Anchorage.|
||Student Technician II, Decision & risk analysis on investment decision associated with hurricane evacuation, supervised by Dr. J. Eric Bickel.|
||Student Technician II, Probability assessment and verification on sports gambling, supervised by Dr. J. Eric Bickel.|
||Research Assistant, “Value of information from 4D seismic technology for oil/gas exploration” sponsored by Schlumberger, supervised by Dr. J. Eric Bickel, Develop economic module to estimate the value of information.|
||Student Technician II, Probability assessment and verification on weather forecast, supervised by Dr. J. Eric Bickel.|
||Research Assistant, “Fee-Based Service for National Association of Wholesaler-Distributors (NAW)” supervised by Dr. Ben Zoghi in the Department of Engineering Technology & Industrial Distribution, Texas A&M University, Develop a model for developing and pricing new services for NAW members.|
||Research Assistant, “Elk Customer Service Survey” supervised by Dr. Ben Zoghi in the Department of Engineering Technology & Industrial Distribution, Texas A&M University, Documentation and analysis of the survey to Elk's distributors nation-wide.|
||Research Assistant, “Reconstruction of Demand Forecasting and Inventory Control System for Automobile Spare Parts” sponsored by HyunDai MOBIS (former HyunDai Precision Industry Company), Korea (South), Generate ideas for various alternative inventory control systems, conduct simulation of the alternatives, and analyze the result.|
- Decision & Risk Analysis
- Oil & gas exploration
- Sports betting market
- Verification of forecast information
- Emergency (esp. natural disaster) management
- Creativity and creative problem solving techniques
- TRIZ (Theory of Inventive Problem Solving)
|Fall 2010, 2011
||Project Risk Management (PM624)|
|Spring 2010, 2011, 2012
||Project Quality Management (PM616)|
||Case Study and Research (PM685/686AB)|
|Spring 2008, 2009
||2009 Economic Analysis of Engineering Projects|
||Teaching Assistant for the course Engineering Analysis for Decision Making “Decision Analysis I”|
- J. Eric Bickel, Eric Floehr, and Seong Dae Kim (2011), “Comparing NWS PoP Forecasts to Third-Party Providers,” Monthly Weather Review, Volume 139, Issue 10 (October 2011), pp. 3304-3321.
- Seong Dae Kim, Teresa Brewer, Gary Kretchik, Donghwoon Kwon, Harrison Yeo, and Kelly Brown (2011), Prioritization of Future Freight Infrastructure Projects within the Anchorage Metropolitan Area Transportation solutions (AMATS), Proceedings of 13th TRB National Transportation Planning Applications Conference, Reno, Nevada, May 8-12, 2011, Available at http://trb-appcon.org/program.html#s8.
- Seong Dae Kim and J. Eric Bickel (2010), “Roads or Radar: The Tradeoff Between Investments in Infrastructure and Forecasting When Facing Hurricane Risk,” IEEE Systems Journal, Vol. 4, Issue 3, pp. 363-375.
- J. Eric Bickel, Eric Floehr, and Seong Dae Kim (2010), “Comparing NWS POP Forecasts to Third-Party Providers,” Proceedings of 20th Conference on Probability and Statistics in the Atmospheric Sciences, The 90th American Meteorological society Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, January 18, 2010. (http://ams.confex.com/ams/90annual/techprogram/session_23848.htm).
- Seong Dae Kim* and J. Eric Bickel (2008), “Roads or Radar: Investing in Infrastructure or Improved Forecasting in the Face of Tropical Cyclone Risk,” Proceedings of the 28th Conference on Hurricanes and Tropical Meteorology, AMS Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, April 30, 2008.
- J. Eric Bickel* and Seong Dae Kim (2008), “Verification of The Weather Channel Probability of Precipitation Forecasts,” Proceedings of the 19th Conference on Probability and Statistics, 88th AMS Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, January 23, 2008.
- Seong Dae Kim* and J. Eric Bickel (2007), “Roads or Radar: Investing in Infrastructure or Improved Forecasting in the Face of Hurricane Risk,” Proceedings of the 44th Annual Technical Meeting of the Society of Engineering Science, College Station, TX, October 23, 2007.