Office: ENGR 215
Phone: (907) 786-6053
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (UIUC)
- M.S., Civil Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- B.E., Civil Engineering, N.E.D. Univ. of Engineering and Technology, Karachi
Dr. Bham is a faculty member in the Civil Engineering Department at the University of Alaska, Anchorage. He received his MS and PhD degrees in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. Dr. Bham's areas of research interests are traffic modeling and simulation, traffic operations, driver behavior, infrastructure management, and safety.
Dr. Bham, as a PI, has led several research projects for the Missouri
Department of Transportation, and the Smart Work Zone Deployment Initiative pooled
fund study administered by the Iowa State University for the Federal Highway
Administration. He has also worked on the National Science Foundation's Course,
Curriculum, and Laboratory Improvement (CCLI) project that incorporated
Geographic Information Systems in the civil engineering curriculum. He has
worked on research projects for the Illinois Department of Transportation, and
the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department (AHTD). Dr. Bham's research
credits total $1.76 million.
Bham has worked as a consultant on several large-scale transportation projects
internationally. He designed a 120 km rural highway along the rugged coastal
terrain in Pakistan. He has performed feasibility studies and economic analyses
for bridges, highways and interchanges for different government agencies including
two major interchanges in the city of Karachi, one of the largest cities in the
world. He has also completed traffic engineering and planning studies for the
National Highway Authority (NHA) of Pakistan.
Dr. Bham's areas of research interest are traffic modeling and simulation, traffic operations, driver behavior, Intelligent Transportation System, safety and engineering education.
- CE A402 Transportation Engineering
- ES A302 Engineering Data Analysis
Professional and Departmental Service
Transportation Research Board
- Member, Committee on Simulation and Measurement of Vehicle and Operator Performance (2010-present)
- Member, Sub-Committee on Positive Protection in Work Zones (2010-present)
- Member, Committee on Traffic Flow Theory and Characteristics (2007-present)
- Member, Calibration, Verification, and Validation Task Force (2007-present)
- Friend, Committees on Highway Capacity and Quality of Service, Traffic Flow Theory Characteristics, Vehicle User Characteristics, Work Zone Traffic Control, Pavement Management Systems (1998-present)
- Licensed Professional Engineer (PEng), Pakistan Engineering Council (1993-present)
- Member, Institute of Engineers Pakistan (IEP) (1993-1995)
- Member, Technical Committee of the 9th Asia Pacific Transportation Development Conference in Chongqing, China, 2012
- Member, International Technical Committee of the Third International Symposium Infrastructure Engineering in Developing Countries (IEDC), 2010
- Member, 1st International Conference on Sustainable Transportation and Traffic Management, Karachi, Pakistan, 2010
- Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Transportation Research Records
- Journal of Transportation Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers
- Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies
- Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems: Technology, Planning, and Operations
- Transportation Letters: The International Journal of Transportation Research
- Journal of European Transport
- Annual conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society
- Annual Conference of the Transportation Research Board, Washington, D.C.
- Application of Advanced Technologies in Transportation
- First Integrated Transportation and Development Congress (T&DI)
- International Conference on Modeling and Simulation, The International Association of Science and Technology for Development (IASTED)
- Third International Symposium on Infrastructure Engineering in Developing Countries (IEDC 2010)
- Mid-America Transportation Center (MATC)
- Missouri Transportation Institute (MTI)
- University of Missouri Research Board (UMRB)
- Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla (Fall 2005-Spring 2012)
- Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla
- International Road Federation - Representative for Missouri University of Science and Technology (Fall 2006-Fall 2011)
- Intelligent Systems Center - Research Investigator (Spring 2006-Fall 2012)
- Center for Infrastructure Engineering Services - Research Investigator (Spring 2008-Fall 2012)
- Transportation Research Board - Liaison representative for the Missouri University of Science and Technology (Fall 2007-Fall 2012)
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- Member, Undergraduate Planning Committee, CArE (Fall 2010-Spring 2012)
- Member, Graduate Affairs Committee, CArE (Fall 2005-Spring 2012)
- Member, Strategic Planning Committee, CArE (Fall 2009-Spring 2010)
- Member, Scholarship and Fellowship Committee, CArE (Fall 2004-Spring 2008)
- Member, Transportation Faculty Search Committee, CArE (Fall 2006-Spring 2007)
- Member, Promotion and Tenure Writer's Group (Spring 2005-Summer 2007)
- Faculty Advisor for Institute of Transportation Engineers (Fall 2010-Spring 2012)
Additional Activities at Missouri University of Science and Technology
- Coordinator Open House, Phonathon Supervisor, GTA workshop evaluator
1. Long, S., L. Gentry and G. H. Bham,
Driver Perceptions and Sources of User Dissatisfaction in the Implementation of
Variable Speed Limit Systems, Journal of Transport Policy, Vol. 23, Sept. 2012,
2. Bham, G. H., B. S. Javvadi and U. R. R.
Manepalli, Multinomial Logistic Regression Model for Single- and Multi-Vehicle
Collisions for Urban U.S. Highways in Arkansas, ASCE Journal of Transportation
Engineering, Vol. 138, No. 6, 2012, pp. 786-797.
3. Bham, G. H., D. Cernusca, R. Luna and
U. R. R. Manepalli, Longitudinal Evaluation of a GIS Laboratory in a
Transportation Engineering Course, ASCE Journal of Professional Issues in
Engineering Education and Practice, Vol. 137, No. 4, Oct. 2011, pp. 258-266.
4. Bham, G. H., A Simple Lane Change Model
for Microscopic Traffic Flow Simulation in Weaving Sections, Transportation
Letters: The International Journal of Transportation Research, Vol. 3, No. 4,
2011, pp. 231-251.
5. Cernusca, D. and G. H. Bham,
Application of Threshold Concepts to Improve a Design-Focused Course in
Transportation Engineering, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the
Transportation Research Board, No. 2211, Transportation Research Board of the
National Academies, Washington, D.C., 2011, pp. 10-17.
6. Bham, G. H., D. R. Mathur, M. C. Leu,
and M. Vallati, Younger Drivers Evaluation of Vehicle Mounted Attenuator
Markings in Work Zones using a Driving Simulator, Transportation Letters: The
International Journal of Transportation Research, Vol. 2, No. 3, 2010, pp.
G. H. and R. F. Benekohal, A High Fidelity Traffic Simulation Model based on
Cellular Automata and Car-Following Concepts, Journal of Transportation
Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, vol. 12, no.1, 2004, pp. 1-32.