Candidates must submit an Application for Graduation with the application fee to Enrollment Services no later than the end of week two of the semester in which they intend to graduate. Applications received after the deadline will be processed for the following semester. Students who apply for graduation but do not complete degree requirements by the end of the semester must re-apply for graduation. The application fee must be paid with each Application for Graduation.
Applicable UAA and School of Engineering requirements for graduate degrees are:
1. A Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.00 (B) must be earned in courses identified in the Official Graduate Studies Plan.
2. Only 400- and 600-level courses approved by the graduate student’s Graduate Studies Committee may be counted toward graduate program requirements.
3. In 400-level courses, a minimum grade of “B” is required for the course to count toward the program requirements.
4. UAA courses at the 500-level are for professional development and are not applicable toward any degree.
5. In 600-level courses, a grade of “C” is minimally acceptable, provided the student maintains a cumulative GPA of 3.00 (B) in all courses applicable to the graduate program. At least 21 credits must be taken at the graduate level (600) for any master’s degree, including thesis and research credits. For performance comparison only, in 600-level courses a grade of “P” (Pass) is equivalent to a B or higher, but does not enter into the GPA calculation.
6. Up to 9 semester credits not used toward any other degree or certificate may be transferred to UAA from an accredited institution and counted toward a degree or certificate. Quarter credits will be converted to semester credits by multiplying quarter credits by two-thirds. Acceptance of transfer credit toward program requirements is at the discretion of the individual program.
7. The Dean of the School of Engineering may allow credit earned at other universities in the Statewide system (i.e., University of Alaska Fairbanks and University of Alaska Southeast), excluding thesis credit and credit used toward another degree or certificate, to be transferred to UAA, as long as at least nine credits applicable to the student’s program are earned at UAA after acceptance into the program.
8. Courses taken by credit by examination or graded Credit/No Credit (CR/NC) do not count toward graduate program requirements. They may, however, be used to satisfy prerequisites or to establish competency in a subject, thus allowing the advisor or committee to waive certain courses in an established program, as long as the total credits in the program remain the same.
9. All credits counted toward the degree or certificate, including transfer credits, must be earned within the consecutive seven-year period prior to graduation.
10. If the requirements for a master’s degree as specified in the UAA catalog at the time of program admission are not met within 7 years of formal acceptance into the program, that program will expire and the student must reapply for admission and meet the requirements in effect at the time of formal acceptance.
11. Students are expected to be continuously registered throughout their graduate program.
12. The project report must meet the general UAA requirements for format as determined by the UAA Consortium Library.