Undergraduate civil engineering students may be recognized for exceptional performance by earning Departmental Honors in Civil Engineering. The award will be noted on their permanent University transcript. In order to receive honors in Civil Engineering, a student must meet each of the following requirements:
- Complete all requirements for a BS degree in Civil Engineering. A minimum of 30 credits applicable to the civil engineering degree must be completed at UAA.
- Be an active member for at least one year of both a national and an on-campus student chapter of a professional engineering society that addresses issues relevant to the civil engineering profession.
- Have a GPA of 3.30 or higher in courses applicable to the BS degree in Civil Engineering.
- Gain approval for and complete a design/research project prior to applying for graduation. An oral presentation of the project results to an appropriate audience will be required. The project proposal and final written report must be approved by the student's academic advisor and the chair of civil engineering.
- Take and pass the Fundamentals of Engineering Examination in the fall semester of the senior year.
- Document a minimum of 8 weeks work experience in an engineering or engineering-related position.