Students must meet all of the admissions requirements for Master's Degrees as specified by UAA. In addition, students must meet the requirements specified below.
In order to be considered for full admission into the program, students will be able to demonstrate:
- Successful completion of a Bachelor of Science degree from a regionally accredited undergraduate program;
- A minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 in the natural/physical sciences or engineering;
- Successful completion of two or more consecutive semesters (or equivalent) in two of the following subject areas: Chemistry, Physics, Biology, or Geology;
- Successful completion of one or more years of calculus; and
- Satisfactory verbal and quantitative Graduate Records Examination (GRE) scores as determined by the admissions committee. The general GRE requirement may be waived at the discretion of the admissions committee for applicants with significant professional experience.
In most instances, undergraduate degrees in the physical sciences, life sciences, or engineering will provide sufficient background to meet course prerequisites. Students without the appropriate background to meet course prerequisites may be required to complete undergraduate courses that will not be applied towards the graduate degree.
Applicants not meeting the admissions requirements may be provisionally accepted at the discretion of the admissions committee. In this case, the candidate's continuation in the program after the first semester will be contingent upon successful completion of a student-specific remedial plan formulated by the admissions committee.
All application materials must be received by the UAA Office of Admissions, per department request, by March 1st for Fall admission and October 1st for Spring admission. The required application materials to be submitted to Admissions include:
- A completed UAA graduate application form;
- Official transcripts of all college-level work;
- Official GRE scores (general examination or subject-specific in a relevant subject area)
- In addition, please submit to the School of Engineering:
- Three letters of recommendation from people familiar with the applicant's technical aptitude; and
- A one-page statement of the applicant's career goals.