Main BSW Page
HOW TO APPLY FOR ADMISSION
- Access the online application via the .
- Choose your degree type as "Baccalaureate Degree (Four-Year)."
- Choose your major as "Social Work*."
- Pay with Visa or MasterCard for online applications.(To pay by check, use a paper application and mail to Enrollment Management.)
- Print the confirmation page at the end of the online application for your records.
Completion of the on-line application will expedite your admission process; however, paper applications are also available. Please do not submit more than one application unless you are requesting more than one degree (the fee is non-refundable). Detailed instructions on how to apply online are available.
NOTE* When students declare social work as their major they are
assigned to the current catalog year. Declaration of social work as a
major does not guarantee admission to the Social Work program. Students
must apply for admission to the Social Work program during the fall
semester of their junior year. Full admission to the Social Work Program
is based upon the requirements listed below.Social Work credits
earned through other CSWE accredited social work programs may be
transferred to UAA and applied toward the Bachelor of Social Work
degree. Approval from the UAA School of Social Work is required for
acceptance of Social Work transfer credits.
APPLYING FOR ADMISSION TO FULL MAJOR
note*: Only students eligible to receive state licensure will be admitted to the BSW degree program. Please contact the School of Social Work for further information.Students must submit the following application materials to the School of Social Work by the last Friday in October prior to intended entry into field work (materials are provided by the School of Social Work):
Students participate in an interview with the faculty and community members to assess the student's readiness to enter the Social Work Program and participate in practicum. Admission to the BSW program is based on:
- The School of Social Work Application for Admission to the BSW degree and Practicum for Fall enrollment.
- Admissions statement.
- Social Work faculty advisor's approval to apply.
- A Student Practicum Interest sheet.
- A Change of Major Form indicating change of status from pre-major to full major.
- Successful completion of the application materials listed above and the course requirements listed below.
- Beginning competence in client-centered communications skills as demonstrated in SWK 330.
- Professional judgment of Social Work Faculty.
The Admission Committee reserves the right to request additional information if necessary.
The School of Social Work will notify applicants of their admission status by December 15th.
COURSE REQUIREMENTS FOR FULL ADMISSION
To apply for full admission to the Social Work Program, students must have
completed the following requirements with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or
higher prior to entering practicum.
1. General Education Requirements for Baccalaureate Degrees.
- Choose One: COMM A111, A235 A237, or A241
- ENGL A111
- and choose one: ENGL A211, A212, A213, A214, A311, A312, A414
- Choose One: MATH A107, A108, A109, A172 or STAT 252
*note: STAT A252 is highly recommended for students wishing to pursue MSW
- View the to select a Humanities course
- View the to select a Fine Arts course
*note: SOC A101 and PSY 150 are required for the BSW degree
|Natural Sciences (3 credits)|
- Choose One: BIOL A102, A111, A112, A115, A116
Second Natural Science (3 credits)
- View the to select a second Natural Science course
Lab for either science course selected (1 credit)
2. Liberal Arts Foundation Courses.
Choose one of each:
|ANTH A200 or A202||3 Credits|
|BA A151, ECON A201, or ECON A202||3 Credits|
|ENGL A120, PHIL A101, A201, A301 or A421||3 Credits|
|TOTAL ||9 Credits|
3. Major Requirements.
|SWK A106: Introduction to Social Welfare||3 Credits|
|SWK A206: Introduction to Social Work||3 Credits|
|SWK A243: Cultural Diversity & Community Service Learning||3 Credits|
|SWK A330: Social Work Practice I||4 Credits|
|SWK A331: Social Work Practice II: Organizations & Communites||3 Credits|
|SWK A342: Human Behavior in the Social Enviroment||3 Credits|
|SWK A424: Social Work Research||3 Credits|
|SWK A481: Case Management in Social Work Practice||3 Credits|
Field Practicum placements may become competitive if the number of applicants exceeds the number of spaces. The program and agencies also reserve the right to refuse and/or terminate students who do not meet a minimum standard of performance. Thus, while the School of Social Work makes every effort to find appropriate field placements for students, admittance to the BSW program does not guarantee acceptance by cooperating social services agencies.
note*:The BSW program does not grant social work course credit for life experience or previous work experience.
More about Field Education
return to top