Student Status and Sequencing
Student's are required to stay in sequence for each semester of the foundation and the concentrations years, whether they are admitted with a full-time or part-time program. Only under extenuating circumstances, and with the approval of the MSW Program Coordinator and Academic Advisor, can a student drop below the required credit load for each semester. Students may choose to take their electives subsequent to completing other foundation and concentration curriculum requirements. However, if a student is granted a change from full-time to part-time status, the student may not take field practicum or practice courses prior to completing the other required courses of a given semester. Practice and practicum courses must be taken concurrently as designated in the layout of the curriculum plan. For example, if it becomes necessary for a student to enroll part time in the spring semester of the foundation year, the student must complete the policy, research and HBSE (human behavior in the social environment) courses before taking the practice and practicum courses designated for that semester. A student cannot enter the concentration year until completing all the foundation requirements.
Students may initiate requests to move from full-time to part-time student status or the reverse. Requests must be made in writing. The request must be approve by the student's advisor and by the MSW program coordinator. The coordinator may request documentation of need to support the request.
Campus Based Program
| || |
MSW Degree Completion Requirements
To maintain satisfactory progress toward the degree, a student in the MSW program must:
- Complete the requirements of the Graduate Studies Plan as established by the student, advisor and MSW Program Coordinator.
- Achieve a GPA of "3.00" or better on a "4.00" scale with no individual course grade lower than a "C" (no practicum course grade may be lower than a "B").
- Adhere to the Code of Ethics of the National Association of Social Workers.
- Complete the MSW comprehensive examination, given in the Integrative Seminar during the Spring semester of the concentration year of the program.
MSW Graduation Requirements
- See MSW Degree Requirements (in the following section)
- Successful completion of MSW Research Project (SWK 698)
- Successful completion of all required academic course work specified on the Official Graduate Studies Plan, with GPA of "3.00" or better, no course grade lower than a "C," and no practicum course grade lower than a "B."
MSW Degree Requirements
Consistent with the UAA general requirements for Master's degrees, the MSW Program requires:
- Completion of at least thirty-one (31) approved semester credits beyond the baccalaureate degree.
- A Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 (B).
- Only 400- and 600-level courses approved by the student's advisor and the MSW Program Coordinator may count toward graduate program requirements.
- In 400-level courses, a minimum grade of "B" is required for the course to count toward the program requirements.
- In 600-level courses, a grade of "C" is minimally acceptable provided the student maintains a cumulative GPA of 3.00 (B) in all courses applicable toward the MSW.
- Practicum course grades must be 3.00 (B) or higher.
- Up to 9 semester credits not used toward another degree may be transferred to the MSW Program from an accredited social work program and counted toward the MSW. Requests to transfer credit toward MSW Program requirements are made to the MSW Program Coordinator and the Admissions Committee.
- All credits counted toward the MSW degree, including transfer credits, must be earned within a consecutive seven-year period prior to graduation.