To maintain satisfactory progress toward the degree, a student in the MSW program must:
- Complete the requirements of the Graduate Studies Plan as established by the student, advisor and MSW Program Coordinator.
- Achieve a GPA of "3.00" or better on a "4.00" scale with no individual course grade lower than a "C" (no practicum course grade may be lower than a "B").
- Adhere to the Code of Ethics of the National Association of Social Workers.
- Complete the MSW comprehensive examination, given in the Integrative Seminar during the Spring semester of the concentration year of the program.
MSW Graduation Requirements
- See MSW Degree Requirements (in the following section)
- Successful completion of MSW Research Project (SWK 698)
- Successful completion of all required academic course work specified on the Official Graduate Studies Plan, with GPA of "3.00" or better, no course grade lower than a "C," and no practicum course grade lower than a "B."
MSW Degree Requirements
Consistent with the UAA general requirements for Master's degrees, the MSW Program requires:
- Completion of at least thirty-one (31) approved semester credits beyond the baccalaureate degree.
- A Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 (B).
- Only 400- and 600-level courses approved by the student's advisor and the MSW Program Coordinator may count toward graduate program requirements.
- In 400-level courses, a minimum grade of "B" is required for the course to count toward the program requirements.
- In 600-level courses, a grade of "C" is minimally acceptable provided the student maintains a cumulative GPA of 3.00 (B) in all courses applicable toward the MSW.
- Practicum course grades must be 3.00 (B) or higher.
- Up to 9 semester credits not used toward another degree may be transferred to the MSW Program from an accredited social work program and counted toward the MSW. Requests to transfer credit toward MSW Program requirements are made to the MSW Program Coordinator and the Admissions Committee.
- All credits counted toward the MSW degree, including transfer credits, must be earned within a consecutive seven-year period prior to graduation.