There are several points which we want to bring to your attention as you prepare your application.
1. The UAA MSW Full-time Program takes two years to complete and requires enrollment in 15-16 credits during Fall and Spring semesters.
2. The Part-time Program requires four years to complete. It begins with Summer semester and requires enrollment during future Summer semesters.
3. Course schedules: Most MSW courses are offered weekdays between 2:30 and 8:15 p.m. Elective courses are frequently offered on an intensive weekend basis. Field educational placements require daytime attendance. Full-time field practicum requirements consist of two or more days per week of “in vivo” experience in an agency setting. Students should plan on adjusting work schedules to meet practicum hours during the semesters involving field education.
4. Classes are sequential. Admission occurs only once per year.
5. Applicants are encouraged to prepare themselves and the significant people in their lives for the intensive, on-going effort required for successful completion of graduate education in social work.
6. You must also make a second and simultaneous application to the UAA Enrollment Services office for admission to graduate standing. A UAA Enrollment Services application form is available on the web at: http://uaonline.alaska.edu/
7. Applicants with BSW degrees may apply for review for Advanced Standing (advanced placement to the Concentration curriculum) if the BSW degree was received within the last seven years, other eligibility requirements are met and additional materials as identified in the program application packet are provided.
8. Applications for admission are due in the MSW program office on or before January 15.
9. The MSW Admission Committee reserves the right to request additional materials and/or interviews as a part of the application process.
10. Order transcripts by September 15. Delays in receiving transcripts delay admission review. Order transcripts sent directly to the UAA School of Social Work, Attn: MSW Admissions, to be received on or before January 15.
(Exception: Transcripts from the University of Alaska system are not required.)