Della Keats Summer Research Program
2013 Program Dates: June 16-July 26, 2013
Application Deadline: March 22, 2013
History & Purpose
The Della Keats Summer Research Program provides an opportunity for the previous summer Della Keats students to return to undertake a six-week mentor guided research internship in a health-related field.
Research Program Information
Each student is paired with a UAA researcher and works for that mentor as an intern for the duration of the program. As a part of this internship, students are expected to (with the mentor’s help) design, conduct and analyze an individual research project and to present their results publicly at UAA at the end of the program.
Students in the Summer Research Program live in the dormitories with the Della Keats Health Sciences students. Both groups join together and participate in the extracurricular activities.
Travel and Housing
Housing is provided at no cost on campus in a UAA dormitory for the length of the program.
Travel assistance may be available for qualifying students from rural Alaska.
There is no cost to participants in this program. A stipend is usually provided to help cover food and miscellaneous expenses. Due to the programs’ demanding schedules, students may not hold jobs or participate in other activities while participating in the summer research program.
Della Keats Summer Research Program Eligibility
To be eligible to apply for the Della Keats Summer Research Program, an applicant must:
1. Have completed the Della Keats Health Sciences Summer Program or an equivalent program the previous summer;
2. Meet the eligibility criteria for the Della Keats Health Sciences Summer Program;
3. Be enrolled as a senior in high school at the time of application.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit:
▪ A completed Della Keats Health Sciences & Summer Research Programs application
▪ A sealed, official current high school transcript*
▪ PSAT/SAT/ACT scores if available
▪ Two sealed letters of recommendation from teachers [one of which must be from a science or mathematics teacher]
▪ Current photograph of self
*Ask your high school counselor how to obtain your transcript.
Acceptance is based on written responses to essay questions from the application form, letters of recommendation, high school academic performance, and a formal telephone interview.
Please note: Places in the Della Keats Summer Research Program are limited. The application process is a competitive one. Successful completion of the core Della Keats program (or an equivalent program) is an eligibility requirement. It is not a guarantee of acceptance.