UAA Recycling Policies & Procedures
Pick up dates and times, and any changes will be announced on this recycling home
page. We will attempt to announce any changes to the schedule at least one week in
advance and will request that the Green & Gold post these changes as well.
If we missed your pick up or if you need an extra pick up due to higher than usual levels of materials (ex: because of an office move, cleaning, etc.), please send an email to the Recycling Crew Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The recycling crew consists of students who have class schedules; therefore, notice as far in advance as possible will help us work an extra pick up into the recycling schedule. We will try to be as flexible as possible and hope that with advance notice we will be able to coordinate your pick up needs. However, we do not schedule extra pick-ups because your office was locked on the pick up date and the crew was unable to access your recycling bins.
We very much appreciate departments who call or email in advance and warn us that they have large amounts of material to be recycled.
It is our policy to provide departments with medium to large-sized bins at central collection locations. Departments are required to provide bins for individual offices.
Recycling do’s and dont's are posted on the recycling page and departments are requested to appropriately process their recycling If your batch of recycling includes a lot of trash, bottles and cans that are not emptied, or a lot of bottles with caps left on, the batch will be placed in the trash. It only takes a few seconds and we all need to take responsibility for appropriately processing what we use.
What can I recycle?
Staff & Faculty
Departments have pick ups for mixed paper, cardboard, aluminum & steel cans, batteries, and plastic bottles. Departments are asked to provide their own receptacles for cans & bottles and in individual offices.
Public bins for mixed paper, cardboard, cans & plastic bottles are distributed throughout campus for your use.
If you would like to print a recycling sign; click on a heading to download a sign.
How do I recycle it?
- Mixed paper includes white or color paper, glossy paper, junk mail, window envelopes, paper board (e.g. cereal boxes), gift wrap, paper egg cartons.
- Staples are ok
- DO NOT include milk or juice cartons/boxes, hardcover books, binder clips, or metal/plastic bindings
- Please flatten cardboard and place it next to your recycling bin for pick up
- Empty aluminum and steel food or beverage cans are accepted
- Please rinse off any food left on cans
- DO NOT include scrap metal of any kind
- We accept #1 PETE & #2 HDPE bottles or jugs with a neck, plastic bags & stretch wrap.
- DO NOT include bottle caps, other numbered plastics, tubs (yogurt), cups, take out containers, or bottles which held chemicals.