Coronavirus information

Visit the UA coronavirus information website to learn how the University of Alaska is responding to the novel coronavirus/COVID-19 situation and find links to communications, policy guidance and resources.

Student Accounts and Refunds

If you withdrew from courses due to COVID-19 and need to request a refund of tuition & course fees, please complete the Petition for Refund (COVID-19) Request Form. Log in with your UA Username and Password.


skylight at University Center

Our office can assist with:

  • Student Account Sponsorships
  • Financial Aid Disbursements
  • Refunds
  • Tax Questions
  • Bookstore Changes
  • Military and Veteran Billing
  • Employee & Dependent Tuition Waivers
  • Senior Citizen Tuitaion Waivers


Phone: (907) 786-1440


Sponsorships/Agency and Military Billing: 

Mailing Address:

University of Alaska Anchorage
Attn: Accounting Services
PO Box 141609
Anchorage, AK 99514

Sponsorpoint (sponsors):

UAA offers online invoices for seamless, expedited sponsor billing through our secured payment gateway Sponsorpoint.

 Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where is my money? - Refunds

    Disbursement Information

     If the total of your financial aid is greater than the amount of your bill, you will receive a refund. You may select to have your refunds sent to your bank account by setting up a direct deposit via UAOnline. Otherwise, we will mail a refund check to the permanent address you have given UAA. It is therefore very important to keep your address up to date on UAOnline. Excess financial aid cannot typically be used to pay for previous balances, according to Federal Regulations. If you owe an outstanding balance, contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance for the best advice on your available options. 


    In qualifying instances, the University will issue a refund to you. Please see the UAA Catalog for the refund policy. 

    GradGuardTM Tuition Refund Insurance

    UAA has teamed with GradGuardTM to offer students the option to purchase tuition insurance to help refund tuition, fees, room, and board up to the annual policy limit if a student is unable to complete the semester due to a covered medical reason. The GradGuardTM Tuition Protection Plan is underwritten by Allianz Global Assistance. Visit GradGuard for additional information on this optional insurance plan, complete terms & conditions, and to enroll. Students may also enroll in this optional insurance plan when paying their bill through Tuition Management Systems (TMS) Student Account Center. The first day of the semester is the last day to enroll in this optional insurance plan.t.
  • How can I get my books? - Bookstore Charge

    Bookstore Charge

    We are currently authorizing students who meet the following criteria to charge books at the UAA bookstore to their student account:

    • UA Home campuses are one of the following: Anchorage, Kenai Peninsula College, Prince William Sound College, Mat Su College and Kodiak College.
    • Account in good standing (Paid in full, no holds)
    • Courses are on any of the following campuses: Anchorage, Kenai Peninsula College, Prince William Sound College, Mat Su College and Kodiak College.
    • Registered in 1+ credits

    Payment for any and all bookstore charges is due by the payment deadline and are subject to the same late fees as tuition, fees and housing. Your first refund check may precede your bookstore charges, be sure to check your account prior to the payment deadline to be sure it is paid in full.

    Alternatively, if you are not authorized to charge books to your student account and your financial aid has been disbursed but not yet refunded, you may purchase Wolfbucks by contacting the disbursement's office 786-1440 option 4.

    Sorry, no exceptions will be made to the "charge all" bookstore authorization requirements.

  • Private Donor Scholarships

    The Disbursements Office processes paper scholarship checks received from private donors. Please see instructions below to make sure all necessary information is included with your check. Checks may be mailed to:

    University of Alaska Anchorage
    Attn: Scholarships
    PO Box 141609, Anchorage AK 99514

    Students applying for private scholarships, please refer donors to this website for instructions.

    Please note that dropping our withdrawing from courses after your scholarship has been posted to your student account may require funds to be returned to the donor, creating a balance due on your account.

    Checks must be received (and signed if necessary) BEFORE the payment deadline in order to avoid late fees. 

    Donor Instructions

    • Please make check payable to: University of Alaska Anchorage or UAA. If checks are made out to student, university and student or otherwise, anticipate delays in processing.
    • Mail checks to address above.
    • Instructions or award letters MUST accompany checks that include:
      • Recipients full name
      • Student's UAA ID number. Do NOT include student's SSN, it violates UAA FERPA compliance. You may use last four digits of SSN and DOB if unable to provide UAA ID number. 
      • Specific term awarded
      • Any additional requirements such as GPA or number of credits enrolled
    • ACH/EFT scholarship funds should forward student roster to the accounting services email, 
    • If your award does not have specific awarding requirements, you may choose to use the Private Donor Award Form which provides us with the general information needed to process the award.

    Other Tips:

    • UAA will do our best to comply with the donor requirements, but only to the point of award to the student account. It is the donor's responsibility to track student progress or otherwise beyond the point of award.
    • Donors are encouraged to ONLY include pertinent, relevant requirements in their award letter.
    • We prioritize our workload based on complete information provided by the donor, to ensure timely processing it is important you include student ID numbers.
    • UAA does not encourage scholarship funds to roll over to next semester as it is not ideal for IRS reporting to split an award between two calendar years. 
  • Sponsorship Instructions for Students

    Step One - Authorization

    Gain the appropriate authorization from the agency/donor/sponsor you are working with. They will need to send UAA the proper authorization (agency instructions below). We can not process anything until we have the written authorization from the agency/donor/sponsor. We can not contact them on your behalf, it will be your responsibility to contact them.

    Step Two - UAA Process

    Once UAA has received the proper authorization, the charges that are authorized should clear off of your account. We process daily, however, during the high peak times, it may take 5-7 business days to see those charges paid on your account. Monitor your account on UAOnline or via the Student Account CenterTips:- If you change your schedule after the original authorization was processed, please let our offices know so we can review and adjust your student account as needed.- If the agency does not cover all the costs/charges on your student account, you will be responsible for paying the remaining amounts by the payment deadline or your account will be subject to late fees and holds preventing future registration.- Authorization must be received prior to the payment deadline to avoid late fees.

    Step Three - Enjoy your Classes! 

  • Sponsorship Instructions for Agencies

    Step One - Authorization

    Each semester we require your agency to issue an authorization. The authorization you send should include exactly what costs are to be covered by your agency and for which student(s). This can be in the form of a purchase order or a letter of authorization. Below is a list of required information we must have from you:

    1. Must be on official letterhead
    2. List all of the students and their UAA student ID numbers.
    3. List what expenses you are paying for a a maximum amount not to exceed.
    4. Include the billing address and a contact person

    Step Two - UAA Process request

    The UAA Accounting Services office will use your authorization to clear the charges from the student account. Any remaining balance on the student account will become the student responsibility. Students may view their account on UAOnline or via the Student Account Center.

    Step Three - Billing

    Approximately midway through the semester, UAA will finalize the semester bill for your Agency to pay. We use our partner- Touchnet Sponsorpoint software for billing. This tool provides a transparent, user-friendly, and efficient way to view and pay your bills. All transactions are posted electronically whether through ACH/EFT or via Credit Card. The software is secure and easy to use. Contact us for login set-up: uaa_agency3pb@alaska.eduStep-by-Step Sponsorpoint Instructions

    Step Four - Pay Bill

    All payments should be posted using the Sponsorpoint software. If your organization is unable to post electronic payments, you may send paper checks to: UAA Cashiering, PO BOX 141609, Anchorage, Alaska, 99514-1609. 
  • Military, TA and Veteran billing

    Chapter 33 Benefits

    Students receiving federal financial aid and are utilizing the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) benefits will receive their financial aid refund after the add/drop date. If your financial aid exceeds the total cost of your tuition and fees you will receive an initial refund upon disbursement and a subsequent refund after the add/drop date, when tuition and fee amounts are certified. This allows more accurate reporting of tuition and fees. An outstanding balance will appear on your student account until payment is received from the Department of Veteran's Affairs. For additional information, please view the Military and Veteran Student Services website. 

    Military Billing and TA

    Military personnel and their dependents/beneficiaries using Department of Defense funding should refer to the Military Programs website for instructions. Refer to your funding agency for certification deadlines and processes.

  • Loan Return and Revisions

    You have until the last day of the semester a disbursement was issued or thirty days, whichever is greater, to return loan funds to your lender through UAA. Please complete a Revision Request to return funds. You may remit payment (if you received direct deposit) or return your un-cashed check at the Cashier's window located in the University Center, 3901 Old Seward Hwy or by mailing it to:

    University of Alaska Anchorage
    Attn: Cashier
    PO Box 141609
    Anchorage AK 99514

    If you would like to return funds outside of this time frame, please return funds directly to your lender. 

  • Returned, lost, stolen checks

    Returned checks

    Paper checks will be mailed to your mailing address (MA). If your check is returned due to bad mailing address, a hold will be placed on your account until your address has been updated at UAOnline. Once you have updated your address you can contact the disbursements office to have your check resent to you. Failure to provide your current mailing address is not a valid reason for check pickup. 

    Lost Checks

    If you believe your check is lost or have not received it within 10 business days from the date it was issued, you may contact the disbursements office to have a stop-pay filed on the check. A non-refundable fee of $18.50 applies to all stop-pays and will be deducted from the amount of the check. A replacement check will be issued, this process generally takes 5-7 business days. 

    Unclaimed Checks

    UAA makes an attempt to notify payees of uncashed checks on an annual basis. If you have a stale dated check, you may return it to the disbursements office to have it reissued at no cost. If you no longer have the check or never received it, you may request a stop pay and have the check reissued. Checks that have been issued more than 180 days ago and remain uncashed may be turned over to the State of Alaska Unclaimed Property. 

  • IRS 1098-T Form

    The IRS 1098-T, tuition statement, reports qualified tuition and related expenses reportable by an eligible educational institution. Education tax credits may be available to you if your are paying education costs for yourself or a student who is a member of your immediate family. Form 1098-T enables you to determine if you qualify for one or more of these education tax credits. Additional instructions are available on the IRS Website. You may also call the UA 1098-T hotline at 1-877-563-7605 for more information.  

    Additional questions? Please visit the 1098-T FAQ

    How to print your 1098-T:

    1. Go to UAOnline
    2. Login to the secured area (This can only be done by the student receiving the 1098-T)
    3. Select Student Services, Financial Aid & Account Information
    4. Select Student Account
    5. Select Tax Notification
    6. Enter Tax Year and submit

    Please note: The 1098-T is based on a single calendar year, Jan. 1- Dec. 31 of any year and NOT the academic or aid year.

  • Tax Information for International Students

    All international students and scholars in J-1, F-1 status and their dependents who receive income in the U.S. during the previous year are required to file with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The tax filing deadline is April 15th each year. If you are unable to file your tax return on time, you may submit an Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return to the IRS.

    Please Note: UAA and its affiliate offices are not tax professionals, we cannot provide you any tax advice or help you complete your tax return. It is your responsibility to understand and meet U.S. tax obligations.

    Filing Forms

    • All international students and scholars without U.S. earned income must file IRS Form 8843 with the IRS by June 15th each year.
    • All International students and scholars with U.S. earned income must file IRS Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ and IRS Form 8843 with the IRS by April 15th each year.
    • Information about IRS Form I-20 and I-94 is available on the Glacier PowerPoint.

    Classification of Taxation

    U.S. tax laws are complex and confusing. For U.S. tax purposes, classification of an alien has been divided into to major groups: resident and non-resident aliens.

    Non-resident Alien:
    Resident Alien:

    Generally, all F-1 and J-1 students and their dependents are considered non-residents (NR) for tax purposes their first five years in the U.S. J Scholars and Professors are typically considered NR for tax purposes their first two years in the U.S.

    Scholarship and Fellowship

    A scholarship is a payment made to students to support their continuing education. A fellowship is a payment made to an individual for their pursuit of research. A non-resident alien may be taxed on such awards, dependent upon criteria established by the IRS.Your scholarship or fellowship may be taxable if:

    • Expenses are not qualified such as room, board, travel, research or clerical help
    • Expenses are not required for enrollment or attendance

    Your scholarship or fellowship may not be taxable if:

    • The recipient pursues a degree at an eligible educational institution
    • The scholarship or fellowship is used to pay for qualified tuition and related expenses.
      These expenses include tuition and fees required to 1) enroll or attend an eligible educational institution and 2) fees, books, supplies and equipment that are required for the courses.
    Scholarship or fellowship received by a non-resident alien for activities performed out side of the U.S. are not taxable in the U.S.
  • Athletic Stipends

    Athletic stipend checks processed each semester after the add/drop deadline. Your coach will make an announcement on the expected process date. Your funds will be received either through direct deposit or by paper check in the mail. The quickest method to recieve your stipend is to use direct deposit.

    If you have further questions, please email the Disbursement's Office or call (907)786-1440 option 4. 

  • Employee Tuition Waivers

    University of Alaska Logo: University of Alaska: Many Traditions One Alaska

    Please read important instructions below before submitting your tuition waiver.

    • Employee/Spouse/Dependent Tuition Waivers are available electronically on the University of Alaska Benefits webpage.
    • ETW waives tuition only.
    • You are responsible for any student or course fees associated with the course(s).
    • Payment (including waiver submission) must be submitted by the payment deadline to avoid late fee(s)
    • ETW forms are only accepted until the last day of class for the term in question, submissions past the term end date will be denied.

    For more information, including eligibility and restrictions, see University Regulation 04.06.010 (Employee Education Benefits)

  • Senior Citizen Tuition Waivers

    Please read important instructions below before submitting your tuition wavier.

    Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver (Electronic Signature)

    For a fillable PDF of the form please visit the UA Education Benefits website.

    Not sure about the age which you qualify? Check out the Eligibility Matrix

    UAA welcomes senior citizens to its classrooms and waives tuition for those eligible under Board of Regents policy R05.10.080.B. Regular tuition shall be waived for Alaska residents who meet the following criteria: they must be age eligible to receive full (unreduced) social security retirement benefits and they must register on a space available basis. "Space available basis" means when courses can accommodate such students in addition to other enrolled students.

    Follow three easy steps to complete registration:

    1. If you have not taken classes in the last two years, complete a Non-Degree Application for Admission at UAOnline
    2. Find the class or classes you want to take and write down class information, including the CRN number. Do not register before the first day of the semester
    3. Submit Senior Tuition Waiver to the Accounting Services Department in the University Center

    Please note these important facts about the Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver (SCTW):

    • SCTW waives tuition only.
    • SCTW is only accepted for classes registered for on or after the first day of the semester and on a space-available basis.
    • SCTW does not apply if the student has registered prior to the first day of semester.
    • Seniors are responsible for any student or course fees associated with the course(s).
    • Payment must be submitted by the payment deadline to avoid late fee(s).
    • SCTW forms are only accepted until the last day of class for the term in question; submissions past the term end date will be denied.
    • Waivers may be returned in person to the Cashier's office by mail or fax. Docusign (electronic signature) is now accepted: Senior Tuition Waiver.
    • For more information, including eligibility and restrictions, see Regents Policy 05.10.080.B.
  •  Forms