The process bulleted below offers general guidance for departments via UA Careers, UA's paperless recruitment system. For further guidance and assistance with the process contact your department's HRS Consultant.
- Check the Position Description (PD): If you are recruiting for a benefited position (staff or faculty), use UA Careers to
view the PD on-file to make sure it reflects the current description of the work.
(Click here for instructions on opening a temporary position.)
- There must be an up-to-date PD in UA Careers before a recruitment can begin. If you locate the PD in UA Careers and it is up-to-date proceed to the next step.
- If you are unable to find the PD in UA Careers, check with your HRS Consultant to confirm it is indeed not in the system or if you can't see it due to assigned access to the PD. Access to a PD can be provided through your HRS Consultant. If the PD has not previously been entered in the UA Careers, work with your HRS Consultant to get the PD set-up in the system.
- If the PD is in the system, but is not current, it will need to be updated prior to launching a recruitment. The hiring department should edit the PD and submit it to HRS via the system for evaluation before a recruitment can begin. (Click here for instructions on submitting changes to a PD.)
- Determine the search committee chair and other committee members. The hiring authority should meet with the search the committee, or committee chair, to communicate the timeline and other specifics of the process, i.e. internal or external process, advertising needs and budget, whether or not relocations expenses will be considered...etc.
- Draft all levels of screening for the recruitment. Stage 1 screening should include only absolute requirements of the position as indicated in the PD. Stage 2 should allow for a scoring system that rates individuals on their level of knowledge, skills and experience for both requirements and preferences of the position, again, this should match the PD. Stage 3 should be the interview questions. Additional stages may be added if desired, such as a preliminary interview stage. Reference questions should also be developed at this time.
- Draft the appropriate memo for the hiring freeze
- Any new staff position must be approved by the appropriate Vice-Chancellor and Chancellor
- Faculty positions must be approved by the Dean and Provost
- Temporary positions must be approved by the appropriate Dean or Director
- All adjuncts must be pre-approved on an annual basis by the Dean and Provost
- Student positions do not need an exception to the hiring freeze
- Complete initial screening of applications: once the position's review, or closing date has passed, committee members will have access to the applications in the system. The search chair should communicate the timeframe and method in which the committee members will review and provide their results to the chair. If the position has a review date and not a close date, the committee should determine whether or not they should keep the posting open to further applicants, or close the posting so they may advance to the interview stage. (Click here for instructions on reveiwing applicants.)
- Request approval to interview: the department summarizes stage 1 and 2 screening results. Upload the scoring summary through UA Careers through the Documents Tab. Then, update the status of those applicants you are requesting to interview. Go to the list of applicants and click the green box next to those applicants to interview. Click on Bulk Move and change their status to Interview Proposal. Don't forget to Update the Job Status from Approved to Propose Interview when changing the status of the applicants. UA Careers will notifies the HRS Consultant who will review the request and respond via the system.
- Request HRS approval to offer: after interviews have been completed and a finalist has been identified, a memo summarizing
the interview process is drafted by the department. Upload the memo through UA Careers
on the Documents Tab. Update the status of all candidates accordingly.
Once a successful candidate has been identified, change their status to ‘Hiring Proposal.’ Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and update the job status from Approved to HR Review Offer. This starts the “Offer Card” which is much like a hiring proposal in the old system. It is assumed that the hiring authority would contact the candidate and verbally offer the job. Thus, e-mail notifications or an online offer may not be necessary.
- Request Provost approval to hire: All Academic departments will also need to create a separate memo to the Provost requesting approval to hire a specific candidate for all faculty positions (this step is not required for staff positions). Unlike the memo to HRS, this memo should not include information about any other applicant for the position. This information can be included as part of the Offer Card.
- Submit a draft appointment letter to HRS: once you have received both HRS and Provost approval (if applicable) the department should submit a draft appointment letter to the HRS Consultant prior to making an offer to the candidate. This information can be included as part of the Offer Card. Offer letters can be generated through UA Careers or by using these templates.
- Proceed to "New Hire Paperwork" for a list of forms to be completed by the new employee.
Main HRS Telephone: 786-4608
In order to view PDF files on your computer, you must have a PDF reader program installed. If you do not already have such a reader, you can download a free reader at Adobe's website: Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Software