Connecting with the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client
This document provides instructions for how to connect to the UAA virtual private network (VPN) with the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client for Windows and Mac operating systems. Also advises which programs require the VPN for access and which programs do not require the VPN.
- Laptop or Desktop computer
- Internet Connection
- UA username & password
When a VPN is Needed
Does NOT Require VPN Connection
- Google Applications (Gmail, Calendar, etc)
- Microsoft Office 365 (portal.office.com)
- Matlab - ONLY if you are using a Staff or Student license from your Mathworks account AND OIT's license code. There are multiple licenses available.
- Seawolf Tracks
Requires VPN Connection
- Cisco Finesse
- Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Matlab - If you are NOT using a Staff or Student license from your Mathworks account and OIT's license code. There are multiple licenses available.
- Click https://anc-vpn01.uaa.alaska.edu (link will open in a new window).
- The Group dropdown box should have ANC-UAA-VPN selected.
- Enter your UA username and password in the appropriate fields.
- Click Login. You will be taken to a new page to download the install file.
- There will be a blue button in the middle of the window. If you are using Mac, it will say Download for macOS. If you are using Windows, it will say Download for Windows.
- A file named anyconnect-win-4.8.02045-core-vpn-webdeploy-k9 will download. Look for the file in your Downloads folder.
- From Downloads, double click the file to begin the installation, following the prompts.
- Click Finish on the last window to complete the installation.
Connecting to the VPN
- If your using Windows, find the program under the Cisco folder in the Start menu. If your using a Mac, find the program under the Cisco folder in your Applications folder. Open the program.
- If connecting after a new installation, enter anc-vpn01.uaa.alaska.edu into the dropdown field.
- Click Connect.
- Set the Group field as ANC-UAA-VPN. Enter Username and Password in appropriate fields.
- Click OK.
- You will be able to see the Client is connected when a little gold padlock appears on the icon in the system tray at the lower right corner of the screen (you may need to click the white arrow to see it).
- If the Client does not connect, check that you are connected to the Internet.
- If you still experience issues, please contact the Technical Support Center at 907-786-4646 or at email@example.com.
Disconnecting from the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client
- Right-click the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client icon in your system tray.
- Select Open.
- From the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client screen, choose Disconnect.
- You will be able to see the Client is disconnected when the little gold padlock disappears from the icon in the system tray at the lower right corner of your screen (you may need to click the white arrow to see it).
If you require further assistance with your setup, please contact the UAA Service Center.