This document is intended to answer frequently asked questions (FAQ's) about email service at the University of Alaska Anchorage. It aims to answer some common technical questions, explain some common problems, and especially point you toward more detailed information.
How do I get an Email account?
UAA Email accounts are created automatically for students registered for at least 1 credit. Allow two business days after registration for account availability. To lookup your username which is reflected in your email address please visit https://me.uaa.alaska.edu/.
What's my email address?
Your default email address is your username with @uaa.alaska.edu appended to it. For example, <username>@uaa.alaska.edu.
What's my password?
In order to set a password or look up your user name, navigate to https://me.uaa.alaska.edu/. On this site, use option 1 if you think you may already know your username and password, option 2 if you cannot remember your password, or option 3 if you do not know your user name or UA ID number (also referred to as a student or employee id number). If this does not work, please contact the UAA IT Service Center for further assistance.
How do I use my email?
- Students: If you are a student at UAA, log in to your UAA email at Google Mail at UA (http://www.alaska.edu/google/) and click on the Mail icon.
- Staff and Faculty: To access your Exchange 2010 you will log on to https://owa.uaa.alaska.edu/.
When does my account expire?
- Students: Student accounts expire three semesters (one year) after the last day of the last semester of attendance. Year old student accounts are expired semesterly. Disabled account owners may be able to appeal for temporarily access by submitting a ticket to the IT Service Center.
- Staff and Faculty: Employee accounts, including other employee sponsored accounts, expire when leaving the university or are locked by department request.
What does "over quota" mean?
Email storage space is not unlimited. If you receive an over quota message, it means that you have exceeded your available space on the email server. You'll need to login to email account and delete some messages or download them to your personal computer.
Mailing Lists at UAA - Where can I find information?
A mailing list is a method of distributing emails to a large number of people through a single email address rather than dealing with a collection of email addresses in your email program. A mailing list is managed on a server with commands that range from adding and removing addresses to setting posting privileges. You must be staff, faculty, or a sponsored entity such as a department or club to request a mailing list.
All incoming mail to UAA is filtered for spam (junk mail), see the Anti-spam Ironport FAQ.
What is the server's address?
- Students: Please visit the following website for further instructions on setting up your University of Alaska Gmail account: Google Mail Desktop Configuration.
- Staff and Faculty: The Exchange 2010 server address is owa.uaa.alaska.edu.
Can I send attachments?
Attachments are allowed, however IT Services does not recommend sending files over 4MB is size. Additionally certain types of file attachments may be removed if they are executable or have files which frequently contain malicious data (sush as a Microsoft Access database file).
What is the size limit on attachments?
Atachments are limited to 20MB in size, though users are encouraged to avoid mailing files over 4MB.
Updates coming soon due to system configuration changes and updates.