Online Class Requirements
The purpose of this article is to help inform users about what they will need in order to access online course material via the Blackboard learning system.
Online classes at UAA use the Blackboard Learning Management System. If you have trouble
accessing your online classes, first check to make sure your computer and browser
meet the minimum requirements to run Blackboard.
Note: Blackboard is not fully functional on Android, Chromebook, ChromeOS, iPad, and iPhone devices. For the full Blackboard experience, use a laptop or desktop computer running MacOS 10.14/15 or Windows 10.
Computer Hardware and Operating System
Both Microsoft Internet Explorer/Edge and Apple Safari have known problems using Blackboard, the current supported browsers are:
Also see UAA's Minimum System Requirements for Desktop Service
- Monitor resolution of 1024 x 768 or higher
- Internet connection – Broadband internet connections are highly recommended and often required
- Headset with microphone - Microphone and headphones are important for web conferencing
- Windows 10 (Windows 7/8 are provisionally supported)
- MAC 10.14/15 (Mac 10.13 is provisionally supported)
- Please Note that Chrome Books and mobile devices are not Compatible with Blackboard Collaborate Classic, RPNow, and potentially other features.
IT Services recommends the following software for the best online class experience.
- Web Browser (Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox)
- PDF Reader
- Adobe Flash Player
- Office Applications (UA provides Google and Microsoft Office 365 accounts to all students, staff, and faculty)
- Word processor
Some courses may have more specific requirements which should be described in the syllabus.
Some classes are using Collaborate Ultra for online meetings.
Some classes are using Zoom for online meetings. For these classes, you will want to install Zoom before the first lecture. As a UA student you are provided with a pro Zoom license. You can claim your UA Zoom license and download the software from the UA Zoom page.
Kaltura Media is a tool that allows the easy sharing of media files with Blackboard courses. You can access it by clicking on the My Media link on the main Blackboard page after you sign in. It is below your list of courses. To upload videos, go to My Media, select Add New button, Media Upload. Then use Mashups to share the video in your Blackboard course.
The Adobe Flash plugin may be required to access some course content:
A PDF (portable document format) reader may be required to view some documents:
UAA uses Windows Media to stream videos. To play back Windows Media Videos (wmv format) on Windows, use Windows Media Player or VLC:
To view Windows Media videos on a Mac, use VLC, the VideoLAN media player:
Blackboard Collaborate Classic is reaching End of Service and will no longer be available after Dec 31st.
Having difficulties unresolved by any of the links on this page? Contact the IT Services Service Center at 786-4646 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Some courses might have more specific hardware or software requirements. Please consult your instructor regarding possible additional materials.