Publications and Programs Accessibility Statement

Please use an accessibility statement for all programs, publications, and events at the University of Alaska Anchorage
  1. Publications should include the following statement:
    This document is available in alternative format upon request.
  2. Registration materials and program announcements, which include bulletins, flyers, brochures, letters, public service announcements or other materials used to inform the public of the event or program should include a statement such as: 
    If you experience a disability and need accommodation please contact: (Name, host department, phone number or e-mail). Please allow sufficient time to arrange accommodation. 
Example: Interpreting services and other accommodation is available as needed. Please contact ____________ with at least 48 hours advance notice. UAA is an EEO/AA employer and educational institution.
  1. Departments and units requiring information about support services and/or accommodations, please contact the Office of Equity and Compliance at 786-4788 or e-mail Support services and/or accommodations specific to the needs for students, should be directed to Disability Support Services at 786-4530.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Am I required to provide accommodations?
    Yes, the University of Alaska Anchorage is a federally funded institution and is mandated by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act as well as the Americans with Disabilities Act. In addition to this federal mandate, it is vital that accommodation be provided in the interest of improving campus climate and honoring the natural diversity that defines any given population. 
  • How do I arrange for accommodation?
    The Office of Equity & Compliance is available to discuss and help arrange for accommodation.  For planning purposes advance notification is greatly appreciated.  Preference is for at least 48 to 72 hours notice. 
  • How much notice does a participant have to give?
    There is no cutoff point after which the university can deny a request, however, advance notice should be requested.  The university must make a good faith effort to provide appropriate accommodation whenever a request comes in.
  • Who pays the cost of disability accommodations at extra-curricular events?
    The sponsoring department, unity or organization pays the cost of accommodation for any participant who makes a reasonable request.  There may be funding strategies that the Office of Equity and Compliance or Disability Support Services can recommend, but planning for a diverse, inclusive population is strongly encouraged.