Education, Prevention & Outreach
Sexual Assault Awareness Month - April 2020
April was dedicated as Sexual Assault Awareness Month in April of 2001, marking this April the 19th anniversary. Join the UAA community in celebrating survivors and spreading awareness through various events and actions! For questions about any of the events happening throughout the month, please reach out to Bridget Coffou - firstname.lastname@example.org
Events happening this month!
Feeling a bit of cabin fever? Register for the Running for the STARs Virtual 5K! Participants will have the entire month to register for and complete the 5K. Not a runner? Not a problem! Walk, bike, pace through your house or apartment! All funds raised from the registration fees will be donated to STAR (Standing Together Against Rape), and the first 50 registrants will get a T-shirt mailed to them! You can register for the 5K via UAATix.com. Take pictures during your 5K and share them using #UAArunningfortheSTARsV5K
April 7 is National Wear Teal Day - This is the official kick off for SAAM! Show your support by wearing teal in your virtual meetings and classes! Share any pictures with the #UAAwearsTeal
April 17 we will be hosting a virtual discussion of Netflix's show Unbelievable at 11 a.m. via Zoom. Watch the show and join us for a lively discussion! Please send an email to Bridget Coffou (email@example.com) to RSVP and request a Zoom link.
April 29 is International Denim Day! Show off your denim as a form of protest against victim blaming, and share your activism by using #UAAdenimday
Another way for your to participate in SAAM activities is by adding a themed signature to your email — here are some suggestions!
- I support sexual assault awareness and education. #SAAM2020
- Act as though what you do makes a difference. It does! #SAAM2020
- Anchor yourself in hope. #SAAM2020
- "Choose to exist loudly in all your light and all your darkness. Be present with purpose. Be seen, and let your voice be heard. Walk with the certainty that you deserve to be here." - Kendal Grace #SAAM2020
- "Now, everytime I witness a strong person, I want to know: What darkness did you conquer in your story? Mountains do not rise without earthquakes." - Katherine Mackenett #SAAM2020
- "You are not obligated to have sex with someone that you are in a relationship with. Dating is not consent. Marriage is not consent." - via Teen Vogue #SAAM2020.
- "You are not lazy, unmotivated,or stuck. After years of living your life in survival mode, you are exhausted. There's a difference." - Nakeia Homer #SAAM2020.
- "Listen with patience. Speak with love. Act with compassion." - Monica M. #SAAM2020.
- 86 percent of people polled do not feel safe enough to report the person who sexually assaulted them. - data pulled from getontheup.com #SAAM2020
- “When the whole world is silent, even one voice becomes powerful.” - Malala #SAAM2020
- No more stolen sisters. #MMIW #SAAM2020
Needing some new content to binge and read? Here are some suggestions for movies, TV shows, books, and articles focusing on sexual violence
- Audrie & Daisey (Netflix)
- Unbelievable (Netflix)
- Surviving R. Kelly (Netflix)
- Precious (Hulu)
- Law and Order SVU (Hulu)
- I am Evidence (HBO)
- I am With You (Youtube)
- Asking for It - Kate Harding
- She Said - Jodi Kantor & Megan Twohey
- Know My Name - Chanel Miller
- Finding Bethany - Glen Klinkhart
- From Survivor to Activist - Chanel Miller is Taking Toxic Sports Culture to Task - Aishwarya Kumar via ESPNW