UAA's SafeZone is a campus-wide program designed to increase the overall campus community's understanding and awareness of issues faced by gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, allies (GLBTQA+) and other marginalized persons. We offer a visible message of inclusion, support, and advocacy through 2-hour Ally trainings, taking participants through a variety of activities aimed at expanding horizons and cultivating thoughts. Ally trainings help participants examine their thoughts and views while prepping them to become better allies for the GLBTQA+ community.
All of our events, including Ally and Train-the-Trainer trainings, are open to UAA students, staff, faculty and the surrounding communities.
SafeZone became a part of the UAA community in November 2010, and now has over 100 trained allies and nearly 50 trainers, comprised of current and former students, staff, faculty, and community members the Anchorage and Fairbanks communities.
To make a gift, click the "Give Now!" to be directed to the UA Foundation. In the electronic form, direct your gift to "Other", and specify "SafeZone" in the area for notes about your gift.
You will receive a receipt in the mail from the UA Foundation for your tax records.
You may also may also contribute via check. Checks should be made out to UAA, with "SafeZone" written in the check notation.
We greatly appreciate the support of our student, staff, faculty and community sponsors.
Please contact SafeZone@uaa.alaska.edu for informational books and movies.
- Advocates for Youth
- Affordable Colleges Online
- Asian Pacific Islander PFLAG
- Bestcolleges.com LGBTQ Student Guide
- BiNet USA
- Gay, Lesbian and Straight Educators Network
- SAGE: The LGBT Aging Project
- The Audre Lorde Project
- The Gay-Straight Alliance Network
- The Human Rights Campaign
- The National Black Justice Coalition
- The National Center for Lesbian Rights
- The National Center for Transgender Equality
- The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
- The National Latina/o Coalition for Justice
- The National Organization for Women
- The National Youth Advocacy Coalition
- Transgender Law and Policy Institute
- Western Oregon University Safe Zone Page