Bachelor of Science in Anthropology
- Complete the General University Requirements for Baccalaureate Degrees.
- Complete the General Education Requirements for Baccalaureate Degrees.
- Complete the major requirements below:
|Core Anthropology Courses|
|ANTH A202||Cultural Anthropology||3|
and Biological Anthropology Laboratory
|ANTH A210||Linguistic Anthropology||3|
and Archaeology Laboratory
|ANTH A410||Anthropological Theory||3|
|ANTH A458||Applied Ethics in Anthropology 1||3|
|ANTH A390A||Arctic and Subarctic Cultures 1||3|
|Complete one of the following:||3|
|World Cultures 1|
|Comparative Culture Studies 1|
|Complete six credits from at least two the following: 2||6|
|Research Methods in Cultural Anthropology|
|Field Methods in Archaeology and Bioanthropology|
|Cultural Resource Management|
|Analytical Techniques in Archaeology and Bioanthropology 1|
|Field Methods in Cultural Anthropology|
|Complete six credits from at least two of the following: 2||6|
|Culture and Human Biodiversity|
|Culture and Ecology|
|Culture and Health|
|Culture and Globalization|
|Health, Ritual and Science 1|
|Historical Engagements 1|
|Belief and Identity 1|
|Topics in the Contemporary North 1|
|Culture, Environment, Place 1|
|Complete any additional 3 credits in anthropology.||3|
|Complete one of the following:||4|
|Applied Statistics for the Sciences|
|Probability and Statistics|
|Upper-Division Natural Sciences Electives|
|Complete six upper-division credits in BIOL, CHEM, GEOL, or PHYS.||6|
Specific topical emphasis for this course varies by offering. See catalog course descriptions for details.
Other upper-division selected topics courses (ANTH A490) or independent study courses (ANTH A397 or ANTH A497) may be petitioned to satisfy methodological or topical/theoretical course requirements, depending on course content.
A minimum of 120 credits is required for the degree, of which 42 credits must be upper-division.
Honors in Anthropology
The award of honors in anthropology recognizes outstanding achievement by undergraduate majors in the study of anthropology. To be eligible for departmental honors, a student must satisfy the following requirements:
- Be a declared anthropology major.
- Satisfy all of the requirements for a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in Anthropology.
- Meet the requirements for Graduation with Honors.
- Earn a grade point average of 3.50 or above in courses specific to the anthropology major.
- Complete a senior thesis project (taken as ANTH A499), based on library, laboratory or field research resulting in a substantial, thesis-quality paper defended before the anthropology faculty. The course may be taken on a one-semester (3-credit) or two-semester (6-credit) basis.