- Ph.D., Art Education, Ohio State University
- M.A., Public Administration/ Arts Administration, Southeastern University
- B.S., Early Childhood Education, Fu Jen Catholic University
She is full professor of art education at University of Alaska Anchorage. She specializes in museum technology and community-based art education. Since 2008, she has been advancing the Junk to Funk project—a community-based art series focuses on using recycled materials to create beautiful yet finished functional artworks in an open studio art environment. She received the 2013 UAA Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Sustainability for her efforts to raise awareness of the “reduce” and “reuse” methods of dealing with waste products. In 2014, she began the Winter Design Project, a collaborative learning experience connecting faculty and students to take an in-depth look at “ice” and “snow” from a new perspective. Currently, her work focuses on Plastic Pollution in the Arctic by using community art as an action for change. Grounded in educational theory and practice, she engages students in hands-on learning on a theme of global significance.
- Art Education
- Art Appreciation
- Senior Seminar
Professional & Department Service
- Chair, Bachelor of Fine Arts Program, Department of Art
- Senator, Fine Arts, UAA Faculty Senate
- Member, UAA Faculty Senate Diversity Committee, CCEL Advisory Committee, Vice Provost’s Research Council, Chancellor's Awards for Excellence Review Committee, Arctic Studies and Research Group, Honors College Task Force for Undergraduate Research & Scholarship, Faculty Senate General Education Assessment (GER) Task Force Committee, Consortium Library Information Literacy Interest Group, UAA Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity Core Theme Evaluation Committee, UAA Faculty Senate Distinguished Service Awards Committee, UAA International and Intercultural Committee, Learning Outcomes Subcommittee, etc.
- Member, University of Arctic, Arctic Sustainable Arts and Design Network (ASAD)
- Judge, MUSE Awards, Media and Technology Standing Professional Committee of American Alliance of Museums
- Grant Reviewer, Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), National Endowment for the Arts (NEA), and Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NOW)
- Herminia Din and Priscilla Lema, Art, Light, Play: Re-imagining the Winter Campus (A Small Popup Book), Bright Ideas Design: Taipei, Taiwan, August 2017.
- Herminia Din and Priscilla Lema, Art, Light, Play: Re-imagining the Winter Campus, Bright Ideas Design: Taipei, Taiwan, June 2016.
- Herminia Din and Steven Wu, Digital Heritage and Culture: Strategy and Implementation, Singapore: World Scientific Publishing Co., October 2014.
- Herminia Din, “Practicing Sustainable Art in the Arctic: Two Case Studies” in Northern Sustainabilities: Understanding and Addressing Change in the Circumpolar World, co-edited by Gail Fondahl and Gary Wilson by Springer Publication, Fall 2016.
- Herminia Din, “Museum Education in the North: An Integrated Approach” in Relate North 2015: Art, Heritage & Identity edited by Timo Jokela, and Glan Coutts, Rovaniemi: University of Lapland Press, Fall 2015.
- Herminia Din, Fang-Yin Lin, Darrell L. Bailey, “Using New Media for Exhibit Interpretation: A Case Study: Yuan Ming Yuan—Qing Emperors’ Splendid Gardens” in Digital Heritage and Culture: Strategy and Implementation, Singapore: World Science Publication Company, Fall 2013.
- Herminia Din, “Junk to Funk: A Community-Based Practice of Sustainable Art” in COOL – Applied Visual Arts in the North, The Faculty of Art and Design in the University of Lapland, Rovaniemi, Finland, October 2013.
- Herminia Din, “Will Online Technology Shape Museum Engagement in the Global Community? Opportunities and Challenges” in Museums in a Global Context: National Identity, International Understanding, American Alliance of Museums Press, Washington, DC, May 2013.
- Herminia Din, “談新媒體科技與亞洲藝術的詮釋/Using Educational Media in the Context of Asian Art Interpretation” in “圓明園：大清皇帝最美的夢 (展覽圖錄)/Yuan-Ming-Yuan Qing Emperors’ Splendid Gardens: Discover the Old Summer Palace (Chinese), Taipei, Taiwan, July 2013.
- Herminia Din, Book Review: Relate North: Culture, Community and Communication, (Jokela, & Coutts, eds. 2017), International Journal of Education through Art, Vol. 14, No. 3, 2018.
Peer Review Article
- 鄒宜君、江妍瑩、Herminia Din, “什麼是有「溫度」的展覽？/ What is an exhibition with "temperature"?” (Chinese) submitted to 科技博物 / Technology Museum Review. [In Review]
- Herminia Din, 梁鈞涵、蘇瑋翔, “初探與分析博物館導覽App的黏著度及未來發展的方向與建議/A Discussion of Stickiness of Museum App and Future Directions” (Chinese) in 科技博物, 第二十卷、第四期/Technology Museum Review, Vol. 20, No. 4, p. 25-46. Taipei, Taiwan, December 2016.
- Herminia Din, 余智雯、彭潔薇、顏芊螢, “博物館語音導覽過時了嗎？/Is the museum audio guide out of date?” (Chinese) in 科技博物, 第二十卷、第四期/Technology Museum Review, Vol. 20, No. 4, p. 5-24. Taipei, Taiwan, December 2016.
- Charis Gullickson and Herminia Wei-Hsin Din, “Exchanging Stories: Art and Identity of An Arctic People” in Journal of Nordic Museology (Nordisk Museologi) Special issue, Fall 2015
- Herminia Din, “Pedagogy and Practice in Museum Online Learning” in Journal of Museum Education, Special Issue, Going the Distance: Online Learning and the Museum, Summer, issue 40, number 2, p. 102-109, July 2015.
- Herminia Din, 王力緯、湛文甫、周晏如、何昕, “博物館科技：是教育、是娛樂、還是通通都是？/Museum Media Technology: Is it Education, Entertainment or Both?” (Chinese) in 科技博物, 第十九卷、第一期/Technology Museum Review, Vol. 19, No.1, p. 51-66. Taipei, Taiwan, March 2015.
- Herminia Din, “博物館帶著走─談創新媒體工具對美術館教育影響/Museum on the Move: The Impact of New Media on Museum Art Education” (Chinese) in 現代美術/Modern Art, 第171期, p. 22-27, Taipei, Taiwan, December 2013.
- Herminia Din, 王薏婷、蕭榆恩、韓欣喬、許采聿、吳紹君、李昀晴, “教育新媒體運用在中華藝術詮釋之探討/Investigate the Use of New Media Technology in the Interpretation of Chinese Art” (Chinese) in 科技博物/Technology Museum Review, p. 57-75, Taipei, Taiwan, December 2013.
- Herminia Din, 戴采如、黃琬淳、翁菁邑、林均霈、莊冠群, “博物館教育科技媒體：五個值得思考的問題/Museum Education and Media Technology: Five Questions Worth of Considering” (Chinese) in博物館與文化/Journal of Museum of Culture (4), p. 169-196, Taipei, Taiwan, December 2012.
- Herminia Din (ed.), Stratum, UAA Art491 Senior Seminar Exhibition Catalogue in collaboration with UAA Books of the Year, April 2018.
- Herminia Din (ed.), Identity, UAA Art491 Senior Seminar Exhibition Catalogue in collaboration with UAA Books of the Year, April 2016.
- Herminia Din (ed.), [Insert] Reality, UAA Art491 Senior Seminar Exhibition Catalogue in collaboration with UAA Books of the Year, April 2015.
- Herminia Din (ed.), Invisible in America, UAA Art491 Senior Seminar Exhibition Catalogue in collaboration with UAA Books of the Year, April 2013.
- Herminia Din, “Junk to Funk: A Community-Based Practice of Sustainable Art.” Conference Proceedings of the International Scientific-Practical Conference on “The Information of the Creativity of the Students’ Artistic Directions of Higher Professional Education” organized by Syktyvkar State University, Syktyvkar, Komi Republic, Russia, November 28-29, 2013.
- Herminia Din, “Kids Game for Museum” Guest Post on the Tronvig Group Blog. February 15, 2013. http://www.tronviggroup.com/kids-games-for-museums/
- Herminia Din, “Get Your Game On” in Museum, American Association of Museums, Washington, DC, September/October 2012.
IN THE NEWS
- Professors talk tourism on inaugural “Idita-trip” (UAA Green and Gold News, March 29, 2018) http://greenandgold.uaa.alaska.edu/blog/62921/professors-talk-tourism-inaugural-idita-trip/
- “Reduce, reuse, recycle: How one UAA professor is educating students on the art of upcycling” featured in UAA Green and Gold News, December 20, 2017. http://greenandgold.uaa.alaska.edu/blog/60755/
- En snøball rullet fra Nesna til Alaska by High North News, May 19, 2016 http://www.highnorthnews.com/en-snoball-rullet-fra-nesna-til-alaska/
- “Words in the Light – Cover Art” in UAA Alumni Magazine, April 2016. http://greenandgold.uaa.alaska.edu/alumni-spirit/wp-content/themes/orbitchild/issues/AlumniSpirit-Issue05-Spring2016.pdf
- “[insert] REALITY on display in the UAA/APU Consortium Library March 30–April 10” featured in UAA Green and Gold News, March 23, 2015, http://greenandgold.uaa.alaska.edu/blog/32956/
- “Get your winter(fest) survival kit right here” featured in UAA Green and Gold News, February 18, 2015, http://greenandgold.uaa.alaska.edu/blog/31709/
- “Winter Design Project: Let there be puddles” featured in UAA Green and Gold News, February 25, 2015, http://greenandgold.uaa.alaska.edu/blog/31920/
- “Member Profile: Herminia Din” featured in Anchorage Museum monthly newsletter and
its website, April 2015
- “Teaching art classes at the Boys & Girls Clubs” featured in UAA Green and Gold News October 22, 2014, http://greenandgold.uaa.alaska.edu/blog/28526/