Good news, Seawolves! The Administration/Humanities Building is officially open for normal business and classes as of Monday, Oct. 14. Thanks to faculty and staff for their flexibility working from temporary locations and students for their flexibility attending courses in alternate classrooms.
Special thanks to our amazing Facilities and Campus Services team and partners AMC Engineers, Vannoy Electric, North Form and Lake View for their work to get the building back up and running so quickly.
Deborah TharpAssociate Professor of Art; Photography
Photography Program Coordinator
- M.F.A., Photography, University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana
- M.A., Photography, California State University at Fullerton
- B.F.A., Herron School of Art of Indiana University
Deborah Tharp is an Associate Professor and Coordinator of the Photography Program in the Department of Art at the University of Alaska Anchorage. She received a BFA degree in Photography and Visual Communications from the John Herron School of Art in Indianapolis, Indiana. She received a M.A. degree in Photography at California State University at Fullerton and a M.F.A. degree in Photography from the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana. Tharp taught for five years in the Department of Art at Louisiana Tech University before moving to Alaska in 1994. She has received several University Development Grants and Alaska State Arts Council Grants. Her work is published in the textbook, Exploring Color Photography by Robert Hirsch and she has exhibited her photographic artwork in numerous solo, groups and juried exhibitions regionally and nationally.
- Beginning Photography
- Intermediate Photography
- Advanced Photography
- Color Photography
- Digital Photography
- Experimental Photography
Professional & Department Service
- Coordinator, Photography
- Visiting Artist Program Coordinator, Photography
- UAA Camera Club Advisor
- Student Resources Committee
- Course and Curriculum Committee
- Bachelor Fine Arts Committee
- Prioritization Committee
2018 "Erudite Antics: UAA Faculty Biennial Exhibition", Kimura Gallery, Anchorage, AK
2017 & 2018 "World Wide Pinhole Day", International Online Website Exhibition
2017 "4th Open Call", Providence Center for Photographic Arts, Providence, RI
2016-2017 "Alaska Positive 2016", Alaska State Museum & Statewide Traveling Exhibition during 2017, Juneau, AK
2016 "iPhonography Now", Online Exhibition, Plymouth Center for the Arts, Plymouth, MA
"Tenth Biennial Faculty Exhibition", University of Alaska Anchorage, Kimura Gallery, Anchorage, AK
"Alaska Photographic Center Members Exhibition", Carr-Gottstein Gallery, Alaska Pacific University, AK. (December).
“Allegany National Photography Exhibition”, Allegany Arts Council, Cumberland, Maryland
2015 "Divine Inspiration", ARC Gallery, UAA Consortium Library, Anchorage, Alaska
“Hugh McPeck Memorial Exhibition”, International Gallery of Contemporary Art, Anchorage, Alaska.
2014 “Alaska Photographic Center Members Exhibition”, Carr-Gottstein Gallery, Anchorage, Alaska
“Eye of the Beholder 7: One Image, Many Perspectives”, UAA Archives & Special Collections, Anchorage, AK
“Ninth Biennial Faculty Exhibition, Kimura Gallery, Anchorage, Alaska
- 2018: Faculty Development Grant, Attended "Creative Composite" workshop with artist Julieanne Kost at the Santa Fe Workshops, Santa Fe, New Mexico
- 2014: Faculty Development Grant, Digital Photography Research: "Learning New Artistic Insights & Creative Teaching
Methodologies," Attended "Advanced Photoshop" with artist David Jullian at the Maine Media Workshops, Rockport, Maine
- 2001-2018: Multiple Faculty Development Grants, University of Alaska Anchorage
- Alaska Positive 2016, Recognition Award, Juror: Larry McNeil, Alaska State Museum, Juneau, AK.
- Excellence in Fine Art Photography in Alaska Award, Alaska Photographic Center