University of Alaska Anchorage campus will be closed September 24, 2021 beginning at 6:40 AM, due to weather. Students and employees should check their email for more information. The university will remain closed for the weekend and reopen on Monday morning.
The Alaska Airlines Center will be open Saturday, September 25, for the home volleyball match that afternoon.
Hollis MickeyAdjunct Professor of Art, Art History
- M.F.A., Creative Writing (expected 2021) University of Alaska Anchorage
- M.A., Performance Studies, Brown University
- B.A., Performance Studies, Brown University
S. Hollis Mickey is an interdisciplinary artist living and working in Anchorage, Alaska. Through text, textiles, sculpture, installation and performance, her work seeks to capture and remember ephemeral, everyday moments-- those glimpses of finding the extraordinary in the ordinary. Hollis was awarded the 2015 Rhode Island State Council on the Arts Fellowship in New Genres. Her texts have been published in audio and print formats, most recently in the audio chapbook "How to Fold a Fitted Sheet" with Flag Day Recordings and the print journals Northern Review, Alaska Women Speak and Cirque. In addition to being a practicing artist, Hollis works as an advocate for the non-profit arts. She is the Director of Learning and Engagement at the Anchorage Museum, where she manages the Education Department. She provides oversight for all platforms of learning at the museum, from school visits to artist happenings to print and digital resources. She manages community partnerships around teaching and learning, coordinates artist-driven programs, and initiated "Unbound," a literary event series.
- History of Contemporary Art
Professional & Department Service
- Chief Learning and Access Officer, Anchorage Museum, Anchorage, AK
- Director of Learning and Engagement, Anchorage Museum, Anchorage, AK
- Volunteer, International Gallery of Contemporary Art, Anchorage, AK
- Associate Educator, Academic and Public Programs, RISD Museum, Providence, RI
- Hollis Mickey, "How to Fold a Fitted Sheet," Audio Chapbook, released on Flag Day Recordings
- Hollis Mickey, "Winter on the Grocery Aisle," in Edible Alaska, Winter issue 2019
- Hollis Mickey, "Making the Most of It," in Edible Alaska, Fall issue 2019
- Hollis Mickey, "The Art of Growing," in Edible Alaska, Spring issue 2019
2020 Fragile Domestic, Bunnell Street Art Center, Homer, AK
2019 With or Without, (with guest curator Cara Hagan), Turchin Gallery, Asheville, NC
2018 Rabbits do not know who they are, Bivey Gallery, Anchorage, AK
2019 Work/Wear, Bivey Gallery, Anchorage, AK
2018 Molybdomancy, Bivey Gallery, Anchorage, AK
2017 Latin Verbs, ICGA, Anchorage, AK