- 1982 Ph.D. Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Arizona
- 1980 M. S. Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Arizona
- 1977 M. S. Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of California, Irvine
- 1974 B. S. Biological Sciences, University of California, Irvine (with Honors)
Research InterestsThe Causey lab studies complex socioecological phenomena associated with climate change of the Arctic in several interdisciplinary contexts. Current projects include population and landscape genetics of Least and Bering whitefish of northern Alaska, molecular genetics of haematozoan parasites of Brown Bears, migration demographics of White-Fronted Geese, subsistence and population dynamics of Yukon-Kuskokwim waterbirds, and ecosystem dynamics of marine bird communities of the High and Low Arctic.
Current and Recent Research Grants
- USGS, “Genetics of North Slope Subsistence Fish Populations” (co-PI) $100,000
- North Pacific Research Board, “Post-eruption ecology of Kasatochi Island” (co-PI) $50,000
- National Science Foundation DUE-1123473 “Native American Science Curricula in Constructivist Contexts” (co-PI) $489,578
- Causey D, NA Bargmann, VM Padula, JM Welker. In preparation. Biogeochemical Indicators of High- and Low-Arctic Marine and Terrestrial Avian Community Changes.
- Reed JM, D Causey, JJ Hatch, F Cooke, and L Crowder. Submitted. Management issues and policy relating to Double-crested Cormorants in North America. Auk
- Causey D and JR Trimble. Submitted. Dinámica de la biodiversidad del cuesta pacífica del noroeste, Costa Rica. Brenesia
- Corbett DG, D West, C Lefévre, D Causey. (editors) 2010. Shemya Island Prehistory. University of Alaska Press.
- Causey D. 2010. The Natural Environment of Shemya Island, Aleutian Islands, Alaska. In: Corbett et al. (eds), Shemya Island Prehistory. University of Alaska Press.
- Causey D. 2010. Population Dynamics of Marine Birds and Mammals In the Far Western Aleutians During the Late Holocene. In: Corbett et al. (eds), Shemya Island Prehistory. University of Alaska Press.
- Causey D and SV Edwards. 2008. Ecology of Avian Influenza Virus in Birds. Journal of Infectious Disease 197 (Suppl 1): S29-S33
- Hashmi D and D Causey. 2008. A System in Which Available Energy Per Se Controls Alpha Diversity: Marine Pelagic Birds. American Naturalist 171: 419-429.
- Corbett DG, D Causey, M Clementz, A Doroff, C Lefèvre, D West. 2007. Aleut hunters, Sea Otters, and Sea Cows: 3,000 years of interactions in the western Aleutian Islands, Alaska. In: Rick T, P Kirch, D Kennett (eds.), Human Impacts on Marine Environments, University of California Press.