Cheryl WilgaDirector and Professor
- 1999 Postdoctoral Fellow, Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University, MA
- 1999 NSF Postdoctoral Fellow, Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, University of California, Irvine
- 1997 Ph.D., Biological Sciences, Ford Foundation Fellow, University of South Florida
- 1992 B.Sc., Biological Sciences, Summa Cum Laude, CIRI Scholar, University of South Florida
- 1990 A.A., Biology, Summa Cum Laude, Valedictorian, CIRI Scholar, University of Alaska Kodiak
Research InterestsLearn more about The Functional Morphology Laboratory
My research interests center on the functional morphology and evolution of behaviors that are key to individual survival, such as feeding, ventilation, and locomotion in vertebrates. I use the comparative approach to investigate how transformations in the morphology of a musculoskeletal system affect its function.
- Functional morphology and evolutionary biology of organisms
- Comparative anatomy and physiology
- Biomechanics of feeding, ventilation and locomotion
- Predator-prey interactions
Balaban*, J.P., Summers, A.P., and C.D. Wilga. 2014. Material properties of the hyomandibula in four shark species. J. Exp. Zool., In Press.
Ramsay*, J.B., Wilga, C.D., Tapanila, L., Pruitt#, J., Pradel$, A., Schlader, R., D.A. Dominique. 2014. Eating with a Saw for a Jaw: Functional Morphology of the Jaws and Tooth-Whorl inHelicoprion davisii. J. Morphol. In Press.
Maia*, A. and C.D. Wilga. 2013. Comparative anatomy and dorsal fin muscle activity during turning maneuvers in two shark species. J. Morphol., 274:1288-1298.
Maia*, A., and C.D. Wilga. 2013. Function of dorsal fins in bamboo shark during steady swimming. Zoology. 116:224-231.
Dolce*, J.L., and C.D. Wilga. 2013. Evolutionary and ecological relationships of gill slit morphology in extant sharks. Bull. Mus. Comp. Zool. 161:79-109.
Tapanila, L., J. Pruitt#, A. Pradel*, C.D. Wilga, J.B. Ramsay*, R. Schlader, and D.A. Didier. 2013. Jaws for a spiral-tooth whorl: CT images reveal novel adaptation and phylogeny in fossilHelicoprion. Biology Letters, 9:20130057.
Maia*, A.M.R., C.D. Wilga, and G.V. Lauder. 2012. Biomechanics of Locomotion in Sharks, Skates and Rays. 2012. In Biology of Sharks and their Relatives (eds. J.C. Carrier, J. Musick, and M. Heithaus). 2nd edition. CRC Press: Boca Raton.
Wilga, C.D., A.A. Stoehr#, D.C. Duquette#, and Rebecca M. Allen#. 2012. Functional Ecology of Feeding in Elasmobranchs. Env. Biol. Fish. 95:155-167.
Wilga, C.D., A. Maia*, S. Nauwelaerts$, and G.V. Lauder. 2012. Prey handling using whole body fluid dynamics in batoids. Zoology. 115:47-57.