Eric G. Holmberg, Ph.D.Professor
Department of Chemistry
- Ph.D., Biophysical Chemistry, SUNY, Binghamton, 1987
- B.S., Biochemistry, Niagara University, Lewiston, NY, 1983
BiographyEric G. Holmberg, Ph.D. is a biochemist with several research interests. He has published many peer-reviewed articles and has been teaching for over 20 years.
- CHEM A103: Survey of Chemistry
- CHEM A103L: Survey of Chemistry Laboratory
- CHEM A104: Introduction to Organic and Biochemistry
- CHEM A105/106: General Chemistry
- CHEM A311: Physical Chemistry: A Biological Orientation
- CHEM A321/322: Organic Chemistry
- CHEM A411: Biophysical Chemistry
- CHEM A441/442: Biochemistry/Advanced Biochemistry
- Stem cell utility for therapeutic paradigms
- Repair and refunction in the central nervous system
- Transformation of cells of the central nervous system via specific drug delivery vehicles
- Factors affecting growth and function of the central nervous system
- The effects of migration on the physiology of pacific salmon
- Therapeutic drug delivery systems
- Drug delivery by target-sensitive and pH-sensitive immunoliposomes
- Immunochemistry of drug delivery
- Proton flux in renal membrane vesicles
- Physical interaction of organic pH sensitive molecules with artificial and biological transport in renal membrane vesicles
- Binding of water transport inhibitors to red blood cell membranes
Shu-xin Zhang, MD, PhD, Fengfa Huang, Mary Gates, Xiaoyan Shen, PhD,Eric G. Holmberg, PhD, "Early Application of Tail Nerve Electrical Stimulation-induced Walking Training Promotes Locomotor Recovery in Rats with Spinal Cord Injury." Spinal Cord, 2016 (accepted)
Zhang SX, Huang F, Gates M, Holmberg EG., "Scar Removal, Cell Transplantation, and Locomotor Training- Strategies to Improve Tissue Repair and Functional Recovery in Rat with Chronic Spinal Cord Injury." Int J Phys Med Rehabil 2014, 2:5http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2329-9096.1000233
Shu-xin Zhang, Fengfa Huang, Mary Gates, Eric G. Holmberg, "Role of endogenous Schwann cells in tissue repair after spinal cord injury." Neural Regeneration Res., Vol. 8, Issue 2, Jan. 2013, pg. 177-185.
Zhang SX, Huang F, Gates M, Holmberg EG "Somatosensory evoked potentials can be recorded on the midline of the skull with subdermal electrodes in non-sedated rats elicited by magnetic stimulation of the tibial nerve." J. Neurosci. Methods. 2012 Jul 15; 208(2):114-8. Epub 2012 May 10.
Zhang SX, Huang F, Gates M, Holmberg EG "Tail nerve electrical stimulation combined with scar ablation and neural transplantation promotes locomotor recovery in rats with chronically contused spinal cord." Brain Res. 2012 May 25; 1456:22-35. Epub 2012 Mar 29.
Zhang SX, Huang F, Gates M, Holmberg EG "Scar ablation combined with LP/OEC transplantation promotes anatomical recovery and P0-positive myelination in chronically contused spinal cord of rats." Brain Res. 2011 Jul 5; 1399:1-14. Epub 2011 May 31.
Zhang SX, Huang F, Gates M, White J, Holmberg EG "Histological repair of damaged spinal cord tissue from chronic contusion injury of rat: a LM observation." Histol. Histopathol. 2011 Jan:26(1):45-58.
Shu-Xin Zhang and Eric G. Holmberg "Scar Removal, Tissue Repair and Physical Therapy - Strategies to Improve Functional Recovery of Chronic SCI." For the book entitled "Spinal Cord Injuries: Types, Treatments and Prognosis."
Zhang SX, Huang F, Gates M, White J, Holmberg EG "Extensive scarring induced by chronic intrathecal tubing augmented cord tissue damage and worsened functional recovery after rat spinal cord injury." J. Neurosci Methods. 2010 Jun 30. [Epub ahead of print]
Shu-Xin Zhang, Fengfa Huang, Jason White, Mary Gates and Eric G. Holmberg "Tail Nerve Electrical Stimulation Combined with Scar Ablation and Cell Transplantation Significantly Improves Functional Recovery in Chronically Contused Rat Spinal Cord." J. Neurosci. Meth., (2010), doi:10.1016/.j.jneumeth.2010.01.008.
Holmberg E, Zhang S, Sarmiere P, Kluge B, White J and Doolen S "Statins decrease chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan expression and astrocyte activation in central nervous system injury." Experimental Neurology 214:78-86, 2008.
Zhang SX, Holmberg EG, and Geddes JM "Artifactual dendritic beading in rat spinal cord induced by perfusion with cold saline and paraformaldehyde." Journal of Neuroscience Methods 163:38-43, 2007.
Shu-Xin Zhang, Bridget Kluge, Fengfa Huang, Suzanne Doolen and Eric G. Holmberg "Photochemical Scar Ablation in Contused Spinal Cord of Rat." Journal of Neurotrauma 24:411-420, 2007.
Zhang SX, Sarmiere P, Doolen S, Kluge B, Huang FF, White J, and Holmberg EG "Scar ablation combined with cell transplantation promotes tissue repair and axon regeneration in chronic contusion injury of rat spinal cord." Journal of Neurotrauma, Volume 24, Number 7, July 2007.
Eric Holmberg, Bridget Kluge, Shu-Xin Zhang, Suzanne Doolen "Statin Treatment Decreases Presence of Scar Associated Molecules in Rat CNS Injury." Journal of Neurotrauma, Volume 23 Number 6 June 2006, pg 1012.
Shu-Xin Zhang, James W. Geddes, Jesse L. Owens, Eric G Holmberg "X-irradiation Reduces Lesion Scarring at the Contusion Site of Adult Rat Spinal Cord." Histology and Histopathology, Apr 20(2): 519-30, 2005
Gregory A. Helms, Eldon E. Geisert, Eric G. Holmberg, and John A. Jane "Distribution of Immunoliposomes in the CNS." Submitted, 1997.
Eldon E. Geisert, Jr., Jesse L. Owens, and Eric G. Holmberg "Transfecting Neurons and Glia in the Rat CNS Using Immunoliposomes." Neurosci. Let., 184, 1-4, 1995.
H. Suda, E.G. Holmberg, H.O. Nornes, and T. Neuman "Expression of E2F1 and E1A Induces DNA Synthesis in Differentiated Neurons In Vitro and In Vivo." NeuroReport, 5, 1749-1751, 1994.
Eric G. Holmberg, Quentin Reuer, Eldon Geisert, and Jesse Owens "Liposomal Delivery of Plasmid DNA to Glial Cells." Biochem. Biophys.Res. Com., 201(2), 888-893, 1994.
Eric G. Holmberg, and Nathan Turner "Effects of Migration on Proton Transport and Na+/H+ Exchange in Vesicles Isolated from Sockeye Salmon (Oncorhyncus nerka) Kidneys." Biochem. Biophys. Res. Com., 186(1), 24-31, 1992.
G.W. Kabalka, M.A. Davis, E.G. Holmberg, K. Maruyama, and L. Huang "Gadolinium-Labeled Liposomes Containing Amphiphilic Gd-DTPA Derivatives of Varying Chain Length: Targeted MRI Contrast Agents for the Liver." Mag. Res Imag., 3, 374-376, 1991.
G.W. Kabalka, M.A. Davis, E.G. Holmberg, K. Maruyama, and L. Huang, "Gadolinium-Labeled Liposomes Containing Various Amphiphillic Gd-DTPA Derivatives: Targeted MRI Contrast Enhancement Agents for the Liver." Mag. Res. 9, 373-377, 1991.
G.W. Kabalka, M.A. Davis, T.H. Moss, E. Buonocore, K. Hubner, E. Holmberg, K. Maruyama, and L. Huang, "Gadolinium-Labeled Liposomes Containing Various Amphiphillic Gd-DTPA Derivatives: Targeted MRI Contrast Enhancement Agents for the Liver." Mag. Res. in Med. 19, 406-415, 1991.
Eric G. Holmberg, Kazuo Maruyama, Stephen Kennel, Alexander Klibanov, Vladimir Torchillin, Una Ryan, and Leaf Huang, "Target-Specific Binding of Immunoliposomes In Vivo." J. Lip. Res. 1(4), 403-416, 1990.
Kazuo Maruyama, Eric Holmberg, Stephen Kennel, Alexander Klibanov, Vladimir Torchilin, and Leaf Huang, "Characterization of In Vivo Immunoliposome Targeting to Pulmonary Endothelium." J. Pharm. Sci. 79(11), 978-984, 1990.
Eric G. Holmberg, Kazuo Maruyama, David C. Litzinger, Stephen Wright, Mark Davis, George W. Kabalka, Stephen J. Kennel, and Leaf Huang, "Highly Efficient Immunoliposomes Prepared with a Method which is Compatible with Various Lipid Compositions." Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm., 165, No. 3, 1272-1278, 1989.
Eric G. Holmberg, A.S. Verkman, and James A. Dix, "Mechanism of Acridine Orange Interaction with Phospholipids and Proteins in Renal Microvillus Vesicles." Biophys. Chem., 33, 245-256, 1989.
G.W. Kabalka, M. Davis, E. Buonocore, K. Hubner, E. Holmberg, and Leaf Huang, "Gd-Labeled Liposomes Containing Paramagnetic Amphiphiles." Contrast Media Research Conference Proceedings, Sidney and Hamilton Island, Australia, October 7, 1989. (in press)
Eric G. Holmberg and Leaf Huang, "pH-sensitive and Target-sensitive Immunoliposomes for Drug Targeting." in Liposomes in the Therapy of Infectious Diseases and Cancer, UCLA Symposia on Molecular and Cellular Biology, New Series, Volume 89, Editor, G. Lopez-Berestein & I. Fidler, Alan R. Liss, Inc., New York, NY (1988).
Career History/Work Experience
- 7/04-6/15: Chairman, Department of Chemistry, University of Alaska Anchorage
- 4/02-Present: Research Director, Spinal Cord Society Research Center, Fort Collins,
- Staff of ten scientists, budget of $1 million/year
- 7/89-Present: Professor, Department of Chemistry, University of Alaska Anchorage
- 6/95- 8/95: Visiting Scientist, Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, School of Medicine, University of Tennessee, Memphis
- 7/89-8/94: Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry/Physics, University of Anchorage Alaska
- 6/87-7/89: Post-doctoral Research Associate, Department of Biochemistry, University
of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee
- Senior Investigator: Professor Leaf Huang
- 1/88-7/88: Research Exchange Scientist, National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, National
Institutes of Health at the Cardiology Research Center, Laboratory for Enzyme Engineering,
- Professor and Head: Vladimir P. Torchillin
- 9/83-5/87: Lecturer, Research Assistant, Teaching Assistant, SUNY, Chemistry Department, Binghamton