After applying to the graduate school, you will be instructed to upload the following
A. A personal essay on the topic "Why Write?"
In your personal essay (2-3 pages, double spaced), you should include some things
we'd like to know, for example:
- Why do you write?
- Why did you choose a low-residency program?
- Why do you wish to study your particular genre?
- What is your writing history?
- Where do you situate yourself in your writing?
- What do you hope to accomplish in our program?
- What are your writing strengths and weaknesses?
B. A Piece of Your Best Creative Work
Please submit with your application your best piece of creative work in your chosen genre: Fiction, Literary Nonfiction, or Poetry.
Poetry: Ten pages of poetry. Only one poem per page.
Fiction: One story; 15 pages or less in length (double spaced) or a chapter of a novel accompanied
by a brief synopsis.
Literary Nonfiction: One piece; 15 pages or less in length (double spaced).
C. A List of Three References
Please provide a list of three references, including the person's affiliation, mailing
address, telephone or cell phone number and e-mail address. We do not require letters of reference.
- Original official transcripts must be sent directly to UAA's Office of Admissions. Please
follow the instructions for transcript submission provided when you apply to the Graduate