Please ensure that your application packet pages are printed single-sided and secured by a binder clip or rubber band. No staples and no double-sided pages, please.
Your application packet should include the following items:
A. Cover Letter
A brief letter explaining your application packet.
B. A personal essay on the topic "Why Write?"
In your personal essay (2-3 pages, double spaced), you should include some things
we'd like to know, for example:
- Why do you write?
- Why did you choose a low-residency program?
- Why do you wish to study your particular genre?
- What is your writing history?
- Where do you situate yourself in your writing?
- What do you hope to accomplish in our program?
- What are your writing strengths and weaknesses?
Please be sure to include your name, mailing address, home phone, cell phone, and
email address. You work must be secured by paper clips or binder clips only.
C. A Piece of Your Best Creative Work
Please submit with your application your best piece of creative work in your chosen genre: Fiction, Literary Nonfiction, or Poetry.
Be sure to clearly mark your genre on your cover page.
Poetry: Ten pages of poetry. Only one poem per page.
Fiction: One story; 15 pages or less in length (double spaced) or a chapter of a novel accompanied
by a brief synopsis.
Literary Nonfiction: One piece; 15 pages or less in length (double spaced).
Please be sure to include your name, mailing address, home phone, cellular phone,
and email address. You work must be secured by paper clips or binder clips only.
D. A List of Three References
Please provide a list of three references, including the person's affiliation, mailing
address, telephone or cell phone number and e-mail address. We do not require letters of reference.
- Copies of your official transcripts or unofficial transcripts must be included in the application packet you
send to the CWLA program.
- Original official transcripts must be sent directly to UAA's Office of Admissions. You will
see their address when you apply to the UAA's Graduate School or you can use the below addresses.
Official unopened hard copy transcripts can be sent to:
Office of Admissions
University of Alaska Anchorage
P.O. Box 141629
Anchorage, Alaska 99514-1629
Official electronic transcripts can be sent by your original institution(s) to: email@example.com