How to Apply
The Creative Writing & Literary Arts Program (CWLA) reviews applications in late winter.
The application deadline has been extended to February 17th for summer admission.
GRE scores are not required for application to our program.
The CWLA Two-Step Application Process
Step 1. Apply to the UAA Graduate School
Prospective MFA students must first apply to UAA's Graduate School. Applicants are encouraged to apply to the UAA Graduate School first and early. UAA's Graduate School applies a $75 fee to each application. Please apply to the Graduate School directly.
Note: Please disregard the application deadlines noted on the Graduate School website. The CWLA program has its own program specific deadline of January 15th.
Step 2: Submit Your Creative Writing & Literary Arts Requirements
After applying to the graduate school, you will be instructed to upload the following items:
A. A personal essay on the topic "Why Write?"
In your personal essay (2-3 pages, double spaced), you should include some things we'd like to know, for example:
- Why do you write?
- Why did you choose a low-residency program?
- Why do you wish to study your particular genre?
- What is your writing history?
- Where do you situate yourself in your writing?
- What do you hope to accomplish in our program?
- What are your writing strengths and weaknesses?
B. A Piece of Your Best Creative Work
Please submit with your application your best piece of creative work in your chosen genre: Fiction, Literary Nonfiction, or Poetry.
Poetry: Ten pages of poetry. Only one poem per page.
Fiction: One story; 15 pages or less in length (double spaced) or a chapter of a novel accompanied by a brief synopsis.
Literary Nonfiction: One piece; 15 pages or less in length (double spaced).
C. A List of Three References
Please provide a list of three references, including the person's affiliation, mailing address, telephone or cell phone number and e-mail address. We do not require letters of reference.
- Original official transcripts must be sent directly to UAA's Office of Admissions. Please follow the instructions for transcript submission provided when you apply to the Graduate School.
Successful applicants will be notified of their acceptance by late-February at the earliest.