Visit the UA coronavirus information website to learn how the University of Alaska is responding to the novel coronavirus/COVID-19 situation and find links to communications, policy guidance and resources.
Shuvajit Bhattacharya, Ph.D.Assistant Professor
Department of Geological Sciences
- Ph.D., Geology, West Virginia University
- M.Sc., Applied Geophysics, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Mumbai, India
- B.Sc., Geology (Honors), Mathematics & Physics, University of Calcutta (Presidency College), Kolkata, India
BiographyDr. Bhattacharya is currently an Assistant Professor in the Department of Geological Sciences. He teaches courses in subsurface mapping, geophysics, and petrophysics. His current research areas are in energy geosciences, quantitative rock property estimations, and integrated subsurface interpretations using different geophysical, petrophysical, and data analytics tools. Prior to joining UAA, he worked in a few oil and gas companies, and research organizations, including EOG Resources, Talisman Energy, and Battelle. He completed multiple successful projects for energy exploration and fluid storage, and utilization in various onshore and offshore locations in North America, Australia, South Africa, and India.
- GEOL A115 Environmental Geology
- GEOL A315 Geological Data Visualization & Analysis
- GEOL A476/676 Applied Geophysics
- GEOL 477/677 Integrated Subsurface Mapping & Analysis
- GEOL A678 Petroleum Geophysics & Petrophysics
Professional & Department Service
- Chair, Graduate Program Committee, Department of Geological Sciences, UAA, 2018- Present
- Involved in building and continuing collaborations with researchers from academia, state/federal agencies, and industry, 2017- Present.
- Assistant Editor, SEG/AAPG Interpretation Journal (Alaska Special Section), 2019
- Associate Editor, SEG/AAPG Interpretation Journal (Reservoir Characterization Special Section), 2019
- Associate Editor, SEG/AAPG Interpretation Journal (5D Seismic Interpretation Special Section), 2019
- Associate Editor, SEG/AAPG Interpretation Journal (Formation Evaluation using Petrophysics and Borehole Geophysics Special Section), 2019
- Chaired regional and national American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG) and Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG) annual conferencesmore than 10 times
- Invited speaker at OilSearch Alaska, Anchorage, 2019
- Invited speaker at the Alaska Geologic Materials Center Technical Session Anchorage, 2019
- Invited monthly luncheon speaker at the joint GSA/AGS/SPE meeting, Anchorage, 2019
- Invited speaker at the Alaska Miners Association Fall Convention, Anchorage, 2018
- Graduate colloquium speaker at the University of Kansas, Lawrence, 2018
- Invited speaker at ConocoPhillips Alaska, Anchorage, 2018
- Invited speaker at the Alaska Geological Society spring technical conference, Anchorage, 2018
- Invited monthly luncheon speaker at joint Geophysical Society of Alaska (GSA) and Alaska Geological Society (AGS), Anchorage, 2017
- Invited speaker at the Pittsburgh Association of Petroleum Geologists’ monthly meeting, Pittsburgh, 2017
Dr. Bhattacharya’s primary research activities focus on geophysics, petrophysics, and 3D subsurface modeling. He is interested in quantitative rock property estimation and multi-scale subsurface characterization using 2D/3D seismic, well logs, and reservoir data. He uses various techniques, such as seismic attributes, forward seismic modeling, seismic inversion, joint petrophysical inversion, and coupled fluid flow-geomechanical simulation for his research. In addition, he implements different types of advanced machine learning and geostatistical algorithms for facies, fracture, and rock property classification, prediction, and modeling.
Geographically, his past and current research areas include different conventional and unconventional reservoirs in the Williston (North Dakota), Permian (Texas and New Mexico), Appalachian (Pennsylvania, Ohio, and West Virginia) basins, Mid-Atlantic offshore, and Alaska.
Currently, his broad research themes are:
1. Energy Resources Exploration and Development (Conventional and Unconventional)
2. Application of Predictive Data Analytics in Geosciences
3. Induced Seismicity
4. Fluid Storage and Utilization (Enhanced Oil Recovery)
Current Projects in Alaska
Energy resources exploration, carbon sequestration and utilization, and machine learning
- Hydrocarbon potential of the Nanushuk and Torok reservoirs on the North Slope integrating geologic, geophysical, and petrophysical, and rock physical data
- Machine learning and deep learning‐assisted seismic facies modeling of the Brookian reservoirs (Nanushuk and Torok) on the North Slope
- Multi-scale fracture classification of the deep formations (Kuparuk, Sag River, Shublik, and Lisburne) on the North Slope
- Seismic imaging, forward seismic modeling, and rock physical analysis (digital rock physics) of the permafrost‐hosted reservoirs in the Arctic
- Multi‐scale heterogeneity analysis and reservoir potential of the HRZ Shale on the North Slope
- Petrophysical analysis of the Jurassic sandstone formations on the North Slope
- Enhanced hydrocarbon production from the Hemlock Formation in the Cook Inlet
- Coupled reservoir‐geomechanical analysis and risks of induced seismicity in the Cook Inlet
- Evaluation of gas storage potential in the shallow sandstone formations in the Cook Inlet
- Outcrop-based forward seismic modeling and comparison with legacy and modern seismic data
Grants and Awards
Dr. Bhattacharya has received multiple funded research projects and in-kind donations of data, and software, etc. from industries and agencies. The total value of the research grants and in-kind donations received at UAA is more than 150 million USD.
Sources of Support: Alaska Department of Natural Resources, US Department of Energy-National Energy Technology Laboratory (DOE-NETL), ConocoPhillips, OilSearch, Entek Energy Limited, Malamute Energy, Schlumberger, Halliburton, Ikon Science, CGG, and others. In the past, Dr. Bhattacharya has worked on multiple projects funded by the DOE and World Bank.
Dr. Bhattacharya has received several awards for best oral and poster presentations at conferences hosted by professional societies.
*Prospective graduate students and post-doctoral fellows with similar research interests are encouraged to contact Dr. Bhattacharya.
Bhattacharya, S., 2019, Hydrocarbon Potential of the Nanushuk and Torok Formations on the North Slope, Alaska: Implications for Supersized Oilfield Development, presented at the Pacific Section AAPG annual meeting, Long Beach.
Bhattacharya, S., 2019, Application of Machine Learning and Deep Learning for Complex Fault Network Characterization on the North Slope, Alaska, presented at the presented at the Pacific Section AAPG annual meeting, Long Beach.
Verma, S., and Bhattacharya, S., 2019, Delineation of Complex fault network North Slope, Alaska using seismic attributes, SEG expanded abstracts
Bhattacharya, S., and Carr, T., 2019, Integrated Data-driven 3D Shale Lithofacies Modeling of the Bakken Formation in the Williston Basin, North Dakota, United States, Journal of Petroleum Science & Engineering, 177, pages 1072-1086.
Bhattacharya, S., Kavousi, P., Carr, T., and Pantaleone, S., 2019, Application of Predictive Data Analytics to Model Daily Hydrocarbon Production using Petrophysical, Geomechanical, Fiber-optic, Completions, and Surface Data: A Case Study from the Marcellus Shale, North America, Journal of Petroleum Science & Engineering, 176, pages 702-715.
Bhattacharya, S., and Verma, S., 2019, Application of Volumetric Seismic Attributes for Complex Fault Network Characterization on the North Slope, Alaska, Journal of Natural Gas Science & Engineering, 65, pages 56-67.
Crandall, D., and Bhattacharya, S., 2019, Alaskan Unconventional Shale Core Characterization, presented at the Eastern Section AAPG annual meeting, Columbus.
Bhattacharya, S., 2019, Petrophysical Characterization of the Shallow Conventional Reservoirs in the Umiat Field, North Slope, Alaska, 31 pages, Malamute Energy.
Bhattacharya, S., and Mishra, S., 2018, Applications of Bayesian Network Theory and Random Forest for Facies and Fracture Prediction: Case Studies from the Appalachian Basin, USA, Journal of Petroleum Science & Engineering, 170, pages 1005-1017.
Kavousi, P., Carr, T., Bhattacharya, S., Elliott, J., Shahkarami, A., Martin, K., 2018, A Fiber-optic Assisted Multilayer Perceptron Reservoir Production Modeling: A Machine Learning Approach in Prediction of Gas Production from the Marcellus Shale, presented at SPE/AAPG/SEG Unconventional Resources Technology Conference (URTEC), Houston, URTEC ID: 2902641, pages 1-10.
Verma, S., Bhattacharya, S., Lujan, B., Agrawal, D., and Mallick, S., 2018, Delineation of Early Jurassic aged Sand Dunes and Paleo-Wind Direction in Southwestern Wyoming Using Seismic Attributes, Inversion, and Petrophysical Modeling, Journal of Natural Gas Science & Engineering, 60, pages 1-10.
Bhattacharya, S., Kavousi, P., Carr, T., 2018, Machine Learning-Assisted Prediction of Daily Hydrocarbon Production using Fiber-optic, Petrophysical, Geomechanical, Engineering, and Surface Data, presented at the Pacific Section AAPG annual meeting, Bakersfield.
Bhattacharya, S., Verma, S., 2018, Application of Volumetric Seismic Attributes for Complex Fault Network Characterization on the North Slope, Alaska, presented at the Pacific Section AAPG annual meeting, Bakersfield.
*Pantaleone, S., Collins, R., Bhattacharya, S., 2018, Carbon Storage, Utilization and Risks in Cook Inlet Basin Alaska, presented at the Alaska Geological Society spring technical conference, Anchorage.
Fukai, I., Gupta, N., Hawkins, Haagsma, A., Ganesh, P.R., Kelley, M., Conner, A., Main, J., Scharenberg, M., Larsen, G., Raziperchikolaee, S., Burchwell, A., Bhattacharya, S., 2018, Regional CO2 Storage Resource and Containment Assessment of Cambrian and Ordovician Formations in Eastern Ohio, presented at the Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies (GHGT) conference in Melbourne, Australia.
Bhattacharya, S., and Carr, T., 2017, Application of Data Analytics and Geostatistics for Shale Facies Modeling, presented at Pacific Section AAPG Annual Meeting, Anchorage.
Bhattacharya, S., Haagsma, A., Howat, E., Schuetter, J., Conner, A., and Mishra, S., 2017, Machine Learning-assisted Vuggy Carbonate Reservoir Characterization: Application to Mature Oil Fields, presented at Pacific Section AAPG Annual Meeting, Anchorage.
Bhattacharya, S., and Carr, T., 2017, Methodology for Multi-scale Shale Lithofacies Modeling: Case Study from the Bakken Formation in North Dakota, presented at Rocky Mountain Section AAPG Annual Meeting, Billings.
Bhattacharya, S., and Carr, T., 2017, 3-D Multi-Scale Lithofacies Models of the Upper and Lower Bakken Shale Members of the Williston Basin in North Dakota, USA, presented at AAPG Annual Conference, Houston.
Bhattacharya, S., Pasumarti, A., Main, J., and Sminchak, J., 2017, Geomechanical Assessment of Sub-Knox Formations for Safe CO2 Injection Study in the Midwest U.S, presented at GSA Section Meeting, Pittsburgh.
Bhattacharya, S., and Carr, T., 2017, A Workflow for Quantitative Shale Lithofacies Modeling at Multiple Scales: Case Study from the Bakken Formation in North Dakota, presented at GSA Section Meeting, Pittsburgh.
Sminchak, J., Main, J., Conner, A., Bhattacharya, S., and Gupta, N., 2017, Geomechanical Factors for Assessing the Effects of Subsurface Injection in the Midwestern U.S., presented at Ground Water Protection Council UIC Conference, Austin.
Ganesh, P.R., Bhattacharya, S., Burchwell, A., Conner, A., Fukai, I., Haagsma, A., Kelley, M., Larsen, G., Main, Raziperchikolaee, S., Scharenberg, M., McNeil, C., and Gupta, N., 2017, Characterization and Preliminary Feasibility Assessment of CO2 Storage and Containment Resources in Deep Saline Cambrian-Ordovician Formations in Eastern Ohio, presented at U.S. Department of Energy conference, Pittsburgh.
Pasumarti, A., Raziperchikolaee, S., Sminchak, J., Bhattacharya, S., and Gupta, N., 2017, Assessing the Effective CO2 Storage Capacity of a Reservoir Using a Geomechanical Framework: A Case Study of a Site in the Arches Province of the Midwest U.S., presented at Carbon Management Technology Conference, Houston.
Main, J., Ganesh, P.R., Fukai, I., Scharenberg, M., Bhattacharya, S., and Gupta, N., 2017, Identifying CCS Sites and Estimating CO2 Resource Volumes using a Static Earth Model in the Appalachian Basin in Eastern Ohio, presented at Carbon Capture, Utilization, and Storage Conference, Chicago.
Bhattacharya, S., Carr, T., and Pal, M., 2016, Comparison of Supervised and Unsupervised Approaches for Mudstone Lithofacies Classification: Case Studies from the Bakken and Marcellus Shale, USA, Journal of Natural Gas Science & Engineering, 33, pages 1119-1133.
Bhattacharya, S., and Carr, T., 2016, Integrated Petrofacies Characterization and Interpretation of Depositional Environment of the Bakken Shale in the Williston Basin, North America, Petrophysics Journal, 57(2), pages 95-110.
Paronish, T.J., Bhattacharya, S., and Carr, T., 2016, Integrated Geologic Analysis from Two Marcellus Shale Science Wells in Northeastern West Virginia, presented at AAPG Annual Conference, Calgary.
Bhattacharya, S., 2015, Application of Spectroscopy Logs and Trace Element Geochemical Data to the Bakken Mudstone Facies Classification in the Williston Basin, USA, presented at SPWLA Annual Conference, Long Beach.
Bhattacharya, S., Carr, T., and Wang, G., 2015, Shale Lithofacies Classification and Modeling: Case Studies from the Bakken and Marcellus Formations, North America, presented at AAPG Annual Conference, Denver.
Zhong, Z., Bhattacharya, S., and Carr, T., 2015, Constructing a Geological Model to Estimate the Capacity of Commercial Scale Injection, Utilization and Use of CO2 in the Jacksonburg-Stringtown Field, West Virginia, USA, presented at AAPG Annual Conference, Denver.
Bhattacharya, S., and Carr, T., 2014, Petrofacies Characterization of Bakken Shale in the Williston Basin, North Dakota, presented at AAPG Annual Conference, Houston.
Carr, T., Bhattacharya, S., Song, L., and Wang, G., 2014, Importance of Mudrock (Shale) Geologic Parameters to Improved Productivity across the Northern Appalachian Basin, USA, presented at AAPG Eastern section Meeting, Ontario, Canada.
Bhattacharya, S., 2009, Gas Hydrates: Indian Scenario, presented at All India Students' Symposium
Interview and Media Coverage
- 3-D, well, core data, integrated in advanced reservoir imaging, Petroleum News, June 16, 2019, http://www.petroleumnews.com/pdfarch/42282314.pdf
- UAA research addresses energy issues, Petroleum News, April 21, 2019, http://www.petroleumnews.com/pdfarch/891824155.pdf
- Students compete in worldwide 3D imaging and energy exploration competition, Green & Gold News, March 21, 2018, http://greenandgold.uaa.alaska.edu/blog/62781/students-compete-worldwide-3d-imaging-energy-exploration-competition/
- Ikon Science donates 18MM$ RokDoc software at University of Alaska Anchorage for newly recommissioned research lab, Ikon Science, October 13, 2017, https://www.ikonscience.com/about/news/2017/10/13/ikon-science-donates-18mm-rokdoc-software-at-university-of-alaska-anchorage-for-newly-recommissioned-research-lab