This morning, our Facilities and Campus Services team was made aware of a pothole that shut down the westbound lanes of Northern Lights Boulevard between UAA Drive and Career Center Drive. It has since been upgraded to a sinkhole, and the lanes will remain closed for an undetermined amount of time while crews repair the damage. We anticipate the closure will extend through the week.
Finals week is a very stressful time for students. Students, please know that your professors have been made aware of the situation. Please communicate with them any delays you may experience due to this issue. We know this is an unexpected traffic challenge. Please take a deep breath. We want you to have a smooth and safe finals week.
Terry KellyAssociate Professor and Chair
Department of Philosophy
Professional & Department ServiceChairperson, Anchorage Municipal Board of Ethics
Research InterestsMy research focuses on the role of trust and promising in professional ethics and how the obligations created by inviting trust from clients, patients, and the public helps clarify problems such as conflicts of interest, whistle-blowing, client/patient autonomy and conscientious objection.
- Professional Ethics: A Trust-Based Approach (2018 Lexington Books)
- “Conflicts About Conflict of Interest: A Comparison of “Performance” and
- “Trustworthiness” Models of COI in the Context of Industry Relations with Physicians,” Cambridge Quarterly of Healthcare Ethics 25, no. 3 (2016): 526-535.
- “The Good, the Bad, and the Ethical: Regulative Ideals and Role Obligations” with Stephanie Bauer, in Proceedings of the University of Alaska Anchorage Ethics Center Convocation (2014).
- “Professional Ethics as Professional Authenticity,” Meeting of the Association for Practical and Professional Ethics, February 2017.
- “Professional Ethics, Trust, and Second-Person Reasons,” Meeting of the Association for Practical and Professional Ethics, February 2016.
- “Professional Ethics for Professional Medical Associations: Impartiality, Conflicts of Interest and Institutional Design” with Stephanie Bauer. 2014 Meeting of the American Society for Bioethics and the Humanities, October 2014.
- “Promises, Practices and Persuasion” The American Philosophical Association Pacific Division Meeting, April 2014