Procedures for Submitting a Proposal to Recruit UAA Psychology Students as Research Participants
All faculty, staff, and students who would like to recruit UAA Psychology students as research participants must complete and submit the Proposal form for the Psychology Research Portal.
The instructions below outline the steps for proposing a study. Only studies that have received IRB approval (either from the Institutional Review Board – IRB – or from a course professor) will be accepted for posting on the Psychology Research Portal. Studies conducted by students will not be accepted without the name and contact information for the faculty supervisor. If you are a student, you may not submit a Proposal until your faculty supervisor has given you permission.
- Go to the UAA Psychology Department webpage, click on “Research” in the menu. Then, click on “Instructions for Researchers” in
the menu at the right side of the page. Then, click on and complete the “Proposal
Form to recruit UAA Psychology Students as Research Participants.” The following
information will be requested on this Proposal:
- Your name
- Your phone number
- Your UAA e-mail address (e.g., email@example.com)
- Your study e-mail address (To protect your privacy, we strongly recommend that you create an e-mail address specifically for your study.)
- Are you a student or faculty member? (If you are a student, provide the name of the course and your faculty supervisor’s name, phone number, and e-mail address.)
- If you are a student – class number and section (e.g., PSY A420-602)
- If you are a student – faculty advisor information (Students must include the faculty advisor name, e-mail address, and phone number.)
- What is the name of your study? (8-word limit)
- Has this study been approved by the IRB?
- i) Yes – from instructor
- ii) Yes – from IRB
- iii) No
- What is the participation time? (in minutes; e.g., 20 minutes)
- Is extra credit offered (for participation in this study)?
- i) Yes
- ii) No
(All faculty and student researchers collecting data from UAA students via the Psychology Department’s Research Portal will need to use a department-constructed Extra Credit Survey to gather information from participants about the course in which they want to receive extra credit.
If you or your students are collecting data through the Psychology Research Portal and students are eligible to earn extra credit for the study, you will need to make this survey link available to all participants. If you are conducting an online study, you can simply provide this link in your survey. If you are collecting data from participants in person, you can e-mail this link to participants after completing your study and direct them to complete the survey. You could also have participants logon to the extra-credit survey on a laptop once they have completed your study.
The Extra Credit Survey Link will be e-mailed to you after you have submitted your Proposal and it has been approved for posting on the UAA Psychology Research Portal.
If you have any questions on the extra credit survey or completing the Proposal to recruit UAA students as research participants, please contact the Research Portal Administrator, Dr. Mari Ippolito, at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Are there any participant restrictions (e.g., only men aged 25-35 years old or only
women who have given birth in the last year)
- i) Yes
- ii) No
- If yes, what are those restrictions?
- Is this an online study?
- i) Yes
- ii) No
- If yes, what is the link?
- If no, where will the research be conducted? (If it is on campus, include the building and room number. If it is off campus, please specify the location.)
- Instruction to participants:
- Describe the study (100 words). Your description should match the description provided to students who participate in your study.
- Once the form is complete, hit the “Submit” button at the bottom of the page. Your proposal will be e-mailed to the Research Portal Coordinator.
- You will be contacted in approximately 24-48 hours about the status of your proposal.
- If your study is incomplete, the Research Portal Coordinator will contact you for additional information.
- If your proposal is accepted, you will receive an e-mail confirmation that your study has been posted to the UAA Psychology Research Portal, which is accessible to UAA students enrolled in psychology courses. (For online surveys, you will first have to confirm that the Extra Credit Survey Link has been included in your research survey before your study can be posted to the UAA Psychology Research Portal.)
- You can check your study by going to the UAA Psychology Research Portal and follow the instructions for participants. (You will need to enter your UAA e-mail address and password to enter the Portal. When you see the list of studies currently available, click on your study title. Check the posting carefully. If there are errors, please send an e-mail to the Research Portal Coordinator.)
- If you need to make a modification to your posted study after your data collection has begun (e.g., change a URL for a survey link or alter instructions for participants), send an e-mail to the Research Portal Coordinator and you will receive instructions about how to make changes to your study.