- National Engineers Week (E-Week)National Engineers Week (E-Week) is an annual event in late February that brings public attention to the work and contributions of our nation's engineers. Anchorage's E-Week is filled with many activities for adults and kids, offering up numermous volunteer opportunities. The highlight of the week is the Student Competitions, which are held on a Saturday at UAA.
- Anchorage STrEaM Academy
Anchorage STrEaM Academy is a 6-8th grade charter school, opening fall of 2016, which will provide an interdisciplinary STEM-based program, focused on experiential learning.
Anchorage STrEaM Academy's STEM-centured curriculum augmented with a rigorous study in the humanities will employ an experiential approach to education. Learning within Anchorage, STrEaM Academy will be embedded in research-based community projects and provide a vital link between learning targets and the students' lives:
- Providing a quality project-based interdisciplinary education based on STEM initiatives;
- Promoting ecological literacy and stewardship in our students;
- Connecting and engaging our community of stakeholders;
- Fostering place-based education and awareness;
- Developing an appreciation for experiencing the outdoors and facilitating outdoor education;
- Incorporating purposeful use of technology.
By connecting students with their community and adding much-needed relevance to the curriculum, Anchorage STrEaM Academy will go beyond measurable test results, challenging students to think critically and problem solve with confidence.
- FIRST Robotics
FIRST offers accessible, innovative programs that motivate young people from the time they start school through high school graduation and offers opportunities for learning both inside and outside of the classroom. Through its continued success, FIRST is determined to make its founder, Dean Kamen's hope a reality, "to create a world where science and technology are celebrated... where young people dream of becoming science and technology heroes." There are a variety of ways to join or start a team. If you are a girl looking for an FLL team, one option is a team sponsored by the Girl Scouts of Alaska.
- Online Bridge Design Contest
Previously known as the West Point Bridge Design Contest, the Engineering Encounters Bridge Design Contest is an Internet-based competition that provides middle school and high school students with a realistic, engaging introduction to engineering.