Ph.D. in Civil Engineering from Oregon State University
B.S. and M.S. in Civil Engineering from Tampere University of Technology, Finland
BiographyHannele is a registered Professional Engineer in the State of Alaska. She has been involved in cold regions engineering since 1985 as a consulting and research engineer in U.S. and internationally. She has been part of the civil engineering faculty at the University of Alaska Anchorage since 1995 and acted as a Chair for the Arctic Engineering Program since April 2005. Her technical writings have been published in the ASCE's Cold Regions Engineering Journal, Transportation Research Record, International Journal of Pavement Engineering, and several conference proceedings. Hannele is the Pass Chair of American Society of Civil Engineers' Technical Council on Cold Regions Engineering (TCCRE) Programs committee, and Vice President of the International Association for Cold Regions Development Studies (IACORDS). She has co-authored a book on Cold Regions Pavement Engineering with Dr. Guy Doré from University of Laval, Canada (publisher McGraw-Hill & ASCE Press).
- AE A403 Arctic Engineering
- AE A603 Arctic Engineering
- AE A681 Frozen Ground Engineering
- AE A689 Cold Regions Pavement Design
- ES AC030 Fundamentals of Arctic Engineering
Professional & Department Service
National and International Committees
- Vice President of IACORDS, the International Association of Cold Regions Studies
- Past Chair of ASTM International D18.19 subcommittee on Frozen Soils and Rock
- Past Chair of Programs Committee for Technical Council on Cold Regions Engineering of American Society of Civil Engineers
- Member of Programs Committee for Technical Council on Cold Regions Engineering of American Society of Civil Engineers
- Member of Frozen Ground Committee for Technical Council on Cold Regions Engineering of American Society of Civil Engineers
- Member of Transportation and Infrastructure Committee for Technical Council on Cold Regions Engineering of American Society of Civil Engineers
- Member of the Transportation Research Board’s Committee on Seasonal Climatic Effects Including Frost Action (AP50), under the National Research Council (NRC), the operating agency of the National Academy of Sciences and the National Academy of Engineering
- Active co-member of the International Society on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Technical Committee on Frost, TC 8
- Member of the International Permafrost Association’s Permafrost Engineering Working Group (IPA – PEWG)
Organization Committees on International and National Conferences
- Chair of the ASTM International Symposium on Mechanical Properties of Frozen Soils, Jacksonville, Florida, January 31, 2013.
- Co-Chair and Member of Local Organizing Committee for the 10th International Symposium on Cold Regions Development, ISCORD 2013, Anchorage, Alaska.
- Member of the Scientific Committee for the 4th European Pavement and Asset Management Conference, Malmö, Sweden, on 5 - 7 September 2012.
Reviewer of several cold regions engineering related journals and conferences.
- University of the Arctic’s UAA Council Member
- University of the Arctic’s Thematic Network Enforcement Committee member
- Past Member of the Center for Advancing Faculty Excellence (CAFE) Advisory Council
College of Engineering
- Arctic Engineering Program Chair
- Co-lead for UArctic's Thematic Network on Arctic Engineering
Frozen Ground Engineering, Foundations in Frozen Ground
Pavement Structures, Asphalt Pavements
Low Temperature Performance of Construction Materials
Arctic and Cold Regions Engineering
Online Education, Engineering Education
- Guy Doré and Hannele Zubeck, (2008). Cold Regions Pavement Engineering, McGraw-Hill/ASCE Press, ISBN: 0071600884 / 9780071600880.
- Cheng, D., Hicks, R.G., Parsons, A., Zubeck, H., Liu, J., A. and Mullin, T. (2013). "Development of an Enhanced Alaska Pavement Preservation Program and Strategy Selection Guide," Transportation Research Record, Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2361. Vol. 2, pp.44-55.
- Liu, H., Zubeck, H. and Schubert, D. (2007). "Finite Element Analysis of Helical Piers in Frozen Ground." ASCE Journal of Cold Regions Engineering, Vol. 21, No. 3, September 2007, pp. 92-106.
- Hannele Zubeck, Lufti Raad, Stephan Saboundjian, George Minassian, John Ryer, "Workability and Performance of Polymer-Modified Asphalt Aggregate Mixtures in Cold Regions" Spon Press, International Journal of Pavement Engineering, Volume 4, Issue No. 1 / March 2003, pp. 25 – 36.
- Hannele Zubeck, Lufti Raad, Stephan Saboundjian, George Minassian, John Ryer, "Performance and Workability of Polymer-Modified Asphalt Aggregate Mixtures in Alaska," ASCE's Journal of Cold Region Engineering, Vol. 16, Number 4, ISSN 0887-381X, December 2002, pp. 170-190.
- Hannele K. Zubeck, Ted S. Vinson, "Prediction of Low Temperature Cracking of Asphalt Concrete Mixtures with Thermal Stress Restrained Specimen Test Results," TRB Journal, National Research Council, Washington DC, 1996, ISBN 0-309-05916-X
- Hannele K. Zubeck, Ted S. Vinson, Huayang Zeng, Vincent C. Janoo, "Field Validation of the Thermal Stress Restrained Specimen Test," TRB Journal, National Research Council, Washington DC, 1996, ISBN 0-309-05916-X